Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Did they respond? Does your status still say "under review"?

It does. I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only been two hours!

lol True. Hope they respond soon! ::fingers crossed::

Apparently full-time work is the best thing to kick a Grad Cafe/email checking habit. Congrats to everyone who's had good news (or made their own by choosing a final destination) this week! I've still got my fingers crossed for all of us hoping on some good news. 

Once this new routine settles in a little, I'm really looking forward to hearing more about everyone's decisions :)

I sympathize with you. I just need to hear back from Toronto to finally sit down, lay everything on the table, and finalize where I really want to go next year. As of now, I have options but this whole waitlisting thing and Toronto decision still stands in my way. Just like Ashiepoo, my status is still pending! (nice to have met you at Michigan State though, Ashiepoo!)

I sympathize with you. I just need to hear back from Toronto to finally sit down, lay everything on the table, and finalize where I really want to go next year. As of now, I have options but this whole waitlisting thing and Toronto decision still stands in my way. Just like Ashiepoo, my status is still pending! (nice to have met you at Michigan State though, Ashiepoo!)

Honestly, the way UT seems to be treating its students would make any decision I might have to make a lot easier.

I hadn't seen the results but I knew it was in the works.  I wonder if it applies to all graduate students on university funding or only those funded through TAships and other service funding.

I saw on acceptance page that there's an intl student who's admitted to UH Manoa. Anyone want to claim that? If you see this message, please PM me coz Im also the admitted student and I wanna get in touch with my future colleague! :)

Not related to applications but was wondering if anyone else listens to the "New Books in History" podcasts? I particularly follow the New Books in East Asia podcasts but there are loads of others that may be related to all of your interests.

http://newbooksinhistory.com/list-of-all-interviews/

Doing intensive Japanese means I don't really get to read much but listening to podcasts on my long commutes is pretty useful. Either way, thought it might be interesting to anyone who hasn't come across this yet.

Honestly, the way UT seems to be treating its students would make any decision I might have to make a lot easier.

Perhaps the GA and TA strike situation also significantly delays the process. But let's see how next week turns out. I am not too interested in going to Canada, but the history department at UT is a really solid fit for me.

I saw on acceptance page that there's an intl student who's admitted to UH Manoa. Anyone want to claim that? If you see this message, please PM me coz Im also the admitted student and I wanna get in touch with my future colleague! :)

That must have been me, but their funding is not good compared to my other offer (despite its being among the top in my field) so I am very inclined to turn down their offer soon. But how nice it is to be able to go to UH! What is your area of specialization?

That must have been me, but their funding is not good compared to my other offer (despite its being among the top in my field) so I am very inclined to turn down their offer soon. But how nice it is to be able to go to UH! What is your area of specialization?

Hi! I'm glad that I at least found someone who was admitted (coz I haven't seen many UH applicants here on this forum)! My focus is on Pacific War memory, mostly memory of atomic bombings and post-war nuclear culture in Japan and U.S. What's your focus? 

I'm admitted but I'm still waiting on the funding result (I got on to the waiting list for TA-ship). I'm now torn apart in between UH and Claremont Grad Univ coz both were my top choices! :)

Hi! I'm glad that I at least found someone who was admitted (coz I haven't seen many UH applicants here on this forum)! My focus is on Pacific War memory, mostly memory of atomic bombings and post-war nuclear culture in Japan and U.S. What's your focus? 

I'm admitted but I'm still waiting on the funding result (I got on to the waiting list for TA-ship). I'm now torn apart in between UH and Claremont Grad Univ coz both were my top choices! :)

Hawaii sounds like a perfect place for you then. The department is huge in Asian history (I believe there are 11 of them in the Asian field in total). I guess you want to work with Yuma Totani? I study diaspora and migration in colonial Southeast Asia. I have been awarded the TA-ship and understand that there are people on the waiting list. I will try to make a decision as soon as possible!

Edited by anthrohis7092

Hawaii sounds like a perfect place for you then. The department is huge in Asian history (I believe there are 11 of them in the Asian field in total). I guess you want to work with Yuma Totani? I study diaspora and migration in colonial Southeast Asia. I have been awarded the TA-ship and understand that there are people on the waiting list. I will try to make a decision as soon as possible!

Yes, i will work with Dr. Totani, Dr. Reiss, and Dr. Henricksen. Thanks for the message and we'll keep in touch! :)

Perhaps the GA and TA strike situation also significantly delays the process. But let's see how next week turns out. I am not too interested in going to Canada, but the history department at UT is a really solid fit for me.

Gah I accidentally downvoted you sneezing during an upvote, can someone fix please? U of T's history department really is great, despite the current drama.

Gah I accidentally downvoted you sneezing during an upvote, can someone fix please? U of T's history department really is great, despite the current drama.

The specific department is not what worries me with the current strike.

Got an email from Columbia about applying to the dual degree in International and World History. Anyone else get this?

I got an e-mail (addressed Dear Applicant) about applying to a dual MA with the London School of Economics, which will be a hard pass given that I already have an MA....

I got an e-mail (addressed Dear Applicant) about applying to a dual MA with the London School of Economics, which will be a hard pass given that I already have an MA....

I looked at their program before the application seasons, and concluded that its VERY expensive. I would love a dual MA and the opportunity to work with the faculty at Columbia; however, I dont think its worth the heavy monetary loss. Also the deadline was March 2nd.