Johns Hopkins School of Education

babycakes

I prefer Columbia but due to finances I might choose JHU because I do plan on teaching for at least a handful of years after I graduate. I already live in MD so I don't have to move and I would have access to state grants if I qualify. I am well aware that Columbia looks better on paper though and I get  MA in Science Ed which might be what I pursue as a PhD later (hopefully at a school like Columbia!) :) 

I prefer Columbia but due to finances I might choose JHU because I do plan on teaching for at least a handful of years after I graduate. I already live in MD so I don't have to move and I would have access to state grants if I qualify. I am well aware that Columbia looks better on paper though and I get  MA in Science Ed which might be what I pursue as a PhD later (hopefully at a school like Columbia!) :) 

I'm an international student and the truth is that in my country's best universities many of us do think JHU is more rigorous in academic affairs and it accept less students than Columbia...I know Columbia is very expensive but I just really want to spend some of my life in NYC...

Also I'm not very sure my program in JHU could prepare me for  PhD... Good for you, you know what you really want, but as an international student I'm not sure if I can get a job as school counselor in U.S.

By the way I also got accepted by UVa, the social foundation program...

Nice! Some of the pros I recognized in JHU is due to my location and desire to also pursue a PhD, a smaller cohort allows for a more intimate setting and therefore have better recommendations and experiences for a PhD. Not to mention, as of this morning JHU is #1 in education by US News! http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-03-11/news/bs-md-graduate-school-rankings-20140310_1_towson-university-world-report-law-school 

The main reason why Columbia is appealing to me is that Science Education (Columbia's MA I applied to) is not available as a PhD at JHU and I feel like if I already established my contacts in my masters, it would be easier to pursue a PhD in Sci. Ed. at Columbia. Obviously I am at odds with it's larger graduate population. 

And good luck on your education! I'm not very sure about the hiring if international students as counselors either, but a reputable degree goes a long way. :)