Ask a Rutgers PhD Student!

In the spirit of the other informational threads recently posted, I thought I'd start this one for any new prospective PhD students who'd like to know more about the Rutgers English department. I'm a first year in the program and am also on the organizational committee for accepted students weekend. I've interacted with, or had classes with, most of the early modern and medieval faculty. I've also been fairly social in the program and will be more than happy to share what I think about the general atmosphere, the dynamic between students and faculty or anything else you'd like to know - pick my brain!

Edited by Metaellipses

Hey— this probably isn't the first question you were expected to get, but hope you won't mind. Do you know if it's common for Princeton students to take classes at Rutgers in the English department? (I know it's allowed, but only if it's demonstrably "necessary" etc.) The schools are like 30 min apart so I was wondering if there's any kind of meaningful collaboration between them.

Thanks!

Hey!

It's very common for students in the consortium to take Rutgers classes. Last semester, one of my classes had a Columbia student. This semester one of my classes has a Princeton student. From talking to other people in my cohort, there are at least two other Princeton students in Rutgers English classes this semester. We also collaborate in other ways. Princeton and Rutgers have joint graduate colloquia that feature a graduate student conference restricted to the two schools. There's an early modern one and a 19th century one (although there may be more for other periods I don't know about). I hope this answers your question!

I also want to say that while the official information on eligibility for consortium classes specifies that something be "necessary," anything that is related to your field of study (or your methodology) fits that description. I have never known (nor have I heard) of anyone having an issue taking classes in the consortium. The only time I'd say that it becomes problematic is when there is a professor at your home school teaching a course in the same or a related topic. Even then, I've seen exceptions be made. For example, one of my friends wanted to take a class on contemporary photographic theory and we had a class offered here on 19th century American literature and visual culture that included a section on contemporary photography. She ended up taking a Princeton class that focused exclusively on photography and had no problem justifying it to her advisor. The Princeton student in my class right now is taking it because it's in his field (Literatures of the New World) and a class in that period wasn't offered at Princeton this semester. You may also state that you want to work with a particular scholar.

Edited by Metaellipses

I also want to say that while the official information on eligibility for consortium classes specifies that something be "necessary," anything that is related to your field of study (or your methodology) fits that description. I have never known (nor have I heard) of anyone having an issue taking classes in the consortium. The only time I'd say that it becomes problematic is when there is a professor at your home school teaching a course in the same or a related topic. Even then, I've seen exceptions be made. For example, one of my friends wanted to take a class on contemporary photographic theory and we had a class offered here on 19th century American literature and visual culture that included a section on contemporary photography. She ended up taking a Princeton class that focused exclusively on photography and had no problem justifying it to her advisor. The Princeton student in my class right now is taking it because it's in his field (Literatures of the New World) and a class in that period wasn't offered at Princeton this semester. You may also state that you want to work with a particular scholar.

Thanks so much for sharing all this. I was a bit worried about the relatively small number of grad classes offered at Princeton (compared to larger departments) and what you've said all but takes care of this issue. Thanks again.

Hi there, I have a question - how common is it for Rutgers students to be based in NYC/Brooklyn? I'm on the wait list, and currently live in the latter with my significant other. I presume (if a place came up) I'd probably move to New Brunswick for at least the first year or so, but later in the course I'd probably want to commute. Just wondering if that's a common situation and something that you would consider to be feasible. Thanks.

Hi!! Thanks for doing this thread!

I've decided to attend UMass Boston in the fall for my MA but Rutgers is my top choice for PhD after that. Weird question, but do you happen to know if Professor Dowling still takes grad students at all? My interests and personal philosophy line up directly with his (more specifically - 18th Century lit and narrative theory), but on his website, he states that he discourages students from grad school which makes me think he wouldn't want to supervise. He doesn't use e-mail, so I'm wondering if it will be worth the time and effort to start sending him snail mail, which I would probably start doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Hi there, I have a question - how common is it for Rutgers students to be based in NYC/Brooklyn? I'm on the wait list, and currently live in the latter with my significant other. I presume (if a place came up) I'd probably move to New Brunswick for at least the first year or so, but later in the course I'd probably want to commute. Just wondering if that's a common situation and something that you would consider to be feasible. Thanks.

Hey! It's very common for our students to live in NYC/Brooklyn. Of the 3rd-7th years, almost all of them (with perhaps two or  three exceptions) live in those locations or in Jersey City. I do recommend living in New Brunswick during coursework as Brooklyn can be around an hour and a half on the train. But a lot of people choose to relocate there or to Queens once they're on their second fellowship. The way our fellowship system is set up means that you can be consistently on fellowship for years 5-7. That means no teaching, no courses and really no reason to be on campus. It's a pretty ideal time to move to the city. The NJ Transit train to Penn Station picks up within sight of the English Dept. It's super convenient and you can get monthly passes with a student discount. It's still a little pricy (around 200 dollars per month) but since the majority of students in the program are doing it without difficulty, I'd say that it's definitely feasible on our stipend.

I've decided to attend UMass Boston in the fall for my MA but Rutgers is my top choice for PhD after that. Weird question, but do you happen to know if Professor Dowling still takes grad students at all? My interests and personal philosophy line up directly with his (more specifically - 18th Century lit and narrative theory), but on his website, he states that he discourages students from grad school which makes me think he wouldn't want to supervise. He doesn't use e-mail, so I'm wondering if it will be worth the time and effort to start sending him snail mail, which I would probably start doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Hey!

I unfortunately don't know anything at all about Professor Dowling. The only 18th century scholars I'm familiar with here are William Galperin, Michael McKeon and Lynn Festa. However, I have heard of professors who don't normally teach graduate classes or work with grad students taking on a specific student to mentor. We aren't typically encouraged to take independent studies, but sometimes a professor will still act as a reader for a student's dissertation or work with them on an oral's list. Sorry I can't be more of a help! I hope that you're able to get in contact with him.

Edited by Metaellipses

Thanks!

I actually have a question similar to this one - I'm not an incoming student - but I do love the program and it's my absolute TOP choice for getting a PhD someday.

Do you mind answering questions about specific professors? There is one individual at Rutgers who is my dream mentor, but if that person doesn't typically work with PhD students or might be leaving the department, or something like that, I wouldn't want to waste my time dreaming. Ya know?

But I also get how giving dirt on specific Professors isn't a good idea on the internet, so I understand if you're not into doing this.

Thanks so much for doing this! :D

(and hopefully, someday, I'll achieve my dream and get to Rutgers - oy - as a native jersey girl, that's not something I ever thought would be true!)

Great thanks so much, that's good to know. I'd figured on living in new brunswick during coursework but good to know that it's common to relocate later in the program. Now all I need is for a load of C20th people to accept offers elsewhere...

I actually have a question similar to this one - I'm not an incoming student - but I do love the program and it's my absolute TOP choice for getting a PhD someday.

Do you mind answering questions about specific professors? There is one individual at Rutgers who is my dream mentor, but if that person doesn't typically work with PhD students or might be leaving the department, or something like that, I wouldn't want to waste my time dreaming. Ya know?

But I also get how giving dirt on specific Professors isn't a good idea on the internet, so I understand if you're not into doing this.

Thanks so much for doing this! :D

(and hopefully, someday, I'll achieve my dream and get to Rutgers - oy - as a native jersey girl, that's not something I ever thought would be true!)

Sure, I'll answer to the best of my ability! Just PM me.

• 11 months later...

Hi!

Cohorts are usually around 12, although they've been as large as 14 (I think they're shooting for 12 this year). We tend to recruit around two people in each subfield: so two early modernists, two medievalists (one anglo-saxon and one late medieval) etc. Our waitlist is also structured according to subfield. 

As for the MA: I'm thinking back to my own cohort, and I remember there being at least three people. But most incoming students are BA. I don't know if that's a coincidence or by design. We also have a pretty significant number of people who have a MFA - usually around one or two in each cohort.

Hope this is helpful!

Very helpful! Thanks for the speedy reply!

Hi!

Cohorts are usually around 12, although they've been as large as 14 (I think they're shooting for 12 this year). We tend to recruit around two people in each subfield: so two early modernists, two medievalists (one anglo-saxon and one late medieval) etc. Our waitlist is also structured according to subfield. 

As for the MA: I'm thinking back to my own cohort, and I remember there being at least three people. But most incoming students are BA. I don't know if that's a coincidence or by design. We also have a pretty significant number of people who have a MFA - usually around one or two in each cohort.

Hope this is helpful!

Hi meta! It's looking like I will be attending Rutgers in the fall. What neighborhoods in New Brunswick have reasonable rent and nearby amenities? I don't have a car and don't really want to buy one.

Hi!

Congrats on the admission, and I look forward to seeing you in March at the open house!

Almost all the English graduate students live in Highland Park; it's a sleepy little town with mostly families and professionals right next to New Brunswick. It has a good coffee shop, great restaurants, some bars (one in an amazing gourmet wine store) and little town activities like a farmer's market on Fridays and movie nights throughout the warmer weather. I love it here. HP is about a 20 minute walk to campus if you live anywhere from Adelaide (the first street after the bridge from NB) to 5th ave. The streets are numbered. I live on 11th street (so about 12 blocks from NB), and it's a little far for walking. But HP also has a great bus service. There's one right at the top of my street and one at 3rd street. So if the weather is ever bad, you can always take the bus to class for a buck fifty. I don't think many people in the program have cars, so no worries there. There are safe and well maintained sidewalks the whole way, including on the bridge.

I can't say off the top of my head what the good apt. complexes are here. You might look up Olde Queen's, however (which is where another early americanist lives, incidentally). I'm sure that people who live a few blocks closer to town will have more precise recommendations.

Also, I'm the phone coordinator this year for incoming students - the phone coordinator matches prospective students with grad students in their field. So as soon as the email list of all the accepted students is released to me (should be in a day or so), I'll put you in touch with our Americanist grad students.

Edited by Metaellipses

• 2 weeks later...

I will actually reply to your post as well because that is precisely what I am doing. It is feasible but not easy as the first 2 years you do have to commute 3-4 times a week because of classes and teaching duties. Although I am not a fan of NB, it is much easier to experience the whole student life if you like there- and cheaper!

Message me if you have other questions

I will actually reply to your post as well because that is precisely what I am doing. It is feasible but not easy as the first 2 years you do have to commute 3-4 times a week because of classes and teaching duties. Although I am not a fan of NB, it is much easier to experience the whole student life if you like there- and cheaper!

Message me if you have other questions

Thanks for replying, though this was actually a post from this time last year. I accepted an offer elsewhere in the end, partly because I didn't fancy the prospect of dealing with Penn Station several times a week...