Indiana Bloomington Spanish Department

maquiato

Felicidades, @maquiato!  I was also recently admitted to the Spanish Department at Indiana-Bloomington and will likely accept my offer.  As for your questions about the strength of the program, I think as with most things concerning graduate study, it depends on your field.  I am mostly familiar with the Hispanic Linguistics side because my interests are second language acquisition and pedagogy, and Indiana has a number of well-published professors and a good track record with placement of their PhD graduates in this program.  

If you are on the literature side, I can't speak as much to the program, but I've reviewed some of their course offerings since part of my degree includes some coursework outside of the Hispanic Linguistics umbrella, and I was pleased to see some classes focusing on post-Boom and contemporary Latin American literature.  I'd say the best way to feel out your fit is to look at all of the professors' webpages, email the ones that interest you and maybe ask them for the emails of some current students in the program who are studying similar issues.  

Congrats again and good luck with your decision.  Maybe we'll see each other in Bloomington.

Thanks a lot for answering. Yes, i am on the literature side. For what i've researched, it seems to have good professors and courses. I think that the department is quit big, which is good.

Thanks again, and I ll probably be seeing in Bloomington!

Gracias!  Y estoy de acuerdo en que el departamento se ve bastante grande para que haya espacio para trabajar con varias personas en distintos proyectos, y al mismo tiempo los profesores con los que he comunicado me parecen amables e sinceramente interesados en colaboración con sus alumnos.

I just visited Indiana University for a conference. Aside from being a beautiful campus and lovely college town, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese is top-notch. It is evident that the professors are deeply committed to producing cutting-edge research and integrating it into their classes and mentoring of graduate students. The environment is friendly, professional, and rigorous. I had time to speak directly with Patrick Dove and Ricardo Guzmán. I would have applied there myself had I shared mutual research interests with faculty. I would definitely travel back for a conference. Good luck to any new Hoosiers!