CSU Hayward MS Statistics

I'm interested in applying to CSU Hayward MS stats for next fall.

Anyone know anything about their program? Anyone attended their program? Any thoughts about it in general?

I know it's not an Ivy League or even a UC school, but I think it's probably going to be my best chance of acceptance. With an undergrad and grad degree in the social sciences from the U.K., and being an older student that's basically been a stay at home mom for the past few years, I doubt many schools will do anything but throw my application in the trash. CSU has always been positive when I've contacted them, and my background doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. UCD on the other hand, likes to portray itself as the best of the best, and therefore isn't exactly the most encouraging when I try to contact them about the program.

I don't have the flexibility of applying out of state, or even outside of about a 70 mile radius, so my choices are extremely limited.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I do not know anything about this program in particular, but one thing to consider is that a lot of lesser known, less competitive Master's programs will grant you "conditional acceptance" where you will take some prerequisite math classes that won't count toward your Masters degree but that will catch you up on the advanced mathematics needed for the statistics classes. There might be other schools within your 70-mile radius that have this.

You should try to find information about post-graduate employment for the programs that interest you. If CSU Hayward has decent job placement in industry for its Masters graduates, then it may be worth it just to go there.

Thanks for your response.

The job outlook does seem promising from what they've told me.

I should be mathematically prepared when I apply. I'm currently taking my second semester of calculus, linear algebra is planned for the summer, with calc iii in the fall. I'm also planning on taking the two core courses for the ucd ms stats program as an open campus student next winter and spring quarters in probability theory. I'm also going to take c++ courses through a local cc at the same time as the calc iii and probability. My undergrad and grad GPA is equivalent to 3.5, and I have around a 3.8 GPA over here, with a 4.0 GPA in all grad courses I've taken in the states.

I'm probably going to apply to ucd, but I'm not expecting to get in.