MS biostatistics profile eval

Undergrad Institution: Went to a state school. not highly regarded at all... usually 'ranks' in the 500s... went for $ reasons...
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s): --
GPA: 3.9
Type of Student: (Domestic/International (Country?), Male/Female?, Minority?) white male in late 20s

GRE General Test:
Q:
V: 153
W: 4.0

Programs Applying: MS programs in Biostatistics

Research Experience: Have been working for 3 years to gain experience to make up for my undergrand institution. Secondary author on 3 other papers all published in relatively high impact public health journals ( another being revewed in Milbank Quarterly currently). I coordinate three grants... one of which is an R01. Currently writing a manuscript that will hopefully be accepted by the time I apply (shooting for a medium impact public health journal)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: dean's list
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research Coordinator at a highly regarded teaching hospital.

Letters of Recommendation: One from my boss who is highly regarded in the public health field, one from a clinician who I've run stats for and one from a professor who I took a directed study (in stats) with in undergrad.

Have A's in Calc I-III, linear algebra, and probability/stats courses. I was a psychology major (BA), so I haven't taken any math courses outside of the required courses.

I have a little experience with R and SQL. I know SPSS well.

Any idea if my undergrad institution will keep me from getting into top tier programs?

So I spoke with an old professor and she the institution shouldn't make or break my application. But she believes that if it's me or someone who went to a top 50 school, then they may get the nod over me.

She wasn't sure how much my research experience would help though. Any thoughts?

Not sure but just a quick FYI - Domestic vs international is asking whether or not you are a U.S. citizen. It is not referring to skin color.

Just a piece of advice so you don't do or say something painfully ignorant that makes everyone around laugh at you inside.

Edited by James_7

I just forgot to mention whether I was domestic or international. 'White' was referring to the 'minority' piece. Thanks.

For clarification purposes, I'm a non-minority, domestic male

Edited by Nightgaunts

I think you'll be in good shape in general, and have a very good chance at getting into at least one top-tier school. You've got A's in the required courses, multiple publications, and at least one strong letter. The publications in particular will help you. Very few MS applicants (even PhD) have publications. That's a great way to distinguish yourself among other applicants who may have gone to better schools. 

Wouldn't hurt to work on your R programming a bit. Probably too late to take a course in R, but maybe you could attend a workshop, or use R for the paper you are currently working on? My first experience in R was just replicating analyses I had done in SPSS and Stata in R. In fact that would be a great way to improve on your R programming and also "prove" that you know R.

Good luck!

I think you should be competitive just about everywhere if you are applying for the MS. I would be less concerned about your undergraduate institution than I am about the fact that you haven't taken analysis, but that's the only possible concern that I see. (Some places might worry about your GRE score as well, although usually that doesn't play a major role unless you really do poorly.) It will depend on your recommendations, but if they are strong, my guess is that you're more than competitive at the top departments.