Rutgers University 2014

colinmatthew

Hey guys - stoked on a lot of things about the program and really leaning towards Rutgers' CS PhD program starting in Fall. Thought there might be some others out there heading to beautiful & sunshiny NJ! ;-]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Colin... I just got an admit from Rutgers-New Brunswick for MS in CS for Fall'14. Pretty inclined towards joining it but still confused between admit from NCSU and this one.

I am pretty sure you must have done your bit of research going for PhD in CS at Rutgers. Are there any key highlights from it which you would like to point out to help me decide?

By the way what is your area of interest for research? My interest inclines towards Algorithms and theoretical computing or may be AI. I have heard Rutgers has good professors and coursework concerned with theoretical computing. Any insight about the same?

Don't know why its so hard to come across seniors from the college.... having a real tough time collecting information about the same. Would really help if you could provide me some information.

Anyhow congrats on your admit ......... :)

Thanks, and congrats to you too! They recently told me that they were expanding their master's program in the coming years, so my thought is that bigger program probably means more opportunities, so sounds like you'd be coming in at the right time.

As far as specialties, happy to share what I've come across. The theory department at Rutgers is one of their strongest points, and I think has a pretty substantial overlap with some math dept faculty (see here), which in and of itself is very strong. Lots of really good faculty in various disciplines, and pretty distinguished (e.g. Szemeredi won the Abel prize a couple years ago). For AI (my interest), the current areas of focus seem to be computer vision and bioinformatics (see here), though they have recent hires in robotics, data mining, and are in the middle of hiring several additional younger AI faculty this semester. 

'Course, I haven't experienced it firsthand yet ~ just doing my due diligence :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Thanks Colin,

Reading through those links has already weighed me towards Rutgers :)

been reading about the faculty and their research work still totally overlooked these awesome collaborations happening at Rutgers   :)

Would definitely get back to you with any queries I have and also otherwise ........... you are the only guy that I have run across who is bound to visit Rutgers CS dept this fall... so yeah I might just bug you a bit  :P