Paying for grad school....?!

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker but first time poster, I figured it was about time to reach out to all the other aspiring slps out there! I am stoked that I was accepted to my first choice program and school-but I'm not excited about the debt I'm about to incur...

I don't think my school has much/any funds to give out to masters students,especially out of field students. Applying to undergrad I had the help of my high school guidance counselors to find local scholarships and ones that were actually realistic ( not the national ones that feel more like a sweepstakes than a merit/need based aid). However I've been out of school for 3 years now so I feel a little overwhelmed when I google this stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know loans will be a part of my grad school experience but if I can reduce them even a little I'd love to know how! Plus I need a new computer...my beast from undergrad won't make it :(

Thanks all!

Edited by Em916

I don't have too much advice, but I would recommend starting your search by contacting the advisors and financial aid office at that school.  They can at least give you a starting point, since searching via google yields too much information.  Some offices may be more helpful than others, but their job is to help students pay for school.  Maybe someone else on here will have some more specific advice.

I'm not sure about other states, but Illinois has a tuition waiver program for people that are going to go into the "special education" side of things (SLP counts).  Basically, your tuition is free at an Illinois public school, as long as you promise to teach in a special education field in Illinois schools for two years after you graduate.  I applied, and am hoping to get the tuition waiver. :)

I'm not sure about other states, but Illinois has a tuition waiver program for people that are going to go into the "special education" side of things (SLP counts).  Basically, your tuition is free at an Illinois public school, as long as you promise to teach in a special education field in Illinois schools for two years after you graduate.  I applied, and am hoping to get the tuition waiver. :)

Can you tell me where/how to apply? Fellow Illinoisan here!