History MA or African American Studies MA (goal = History PhD)???

jhsting32

I have applied to and have been accepted into both History MA and African American Studies MA programs.  I am currently awaiting the admission decisions from two African American Studies programs, both of which have top 25 History PhD programs and one of which has a bridge program to the History PhD.  From the two programs that I have been admitted to, I have received TAships.  All of the African Americans Studies programs I have applied to are top programs while the History program is not necessarily a top program but it has two professors who are experts in my area of interest.  I'm wondering as an applicant who did not major in History during undergrad (I went to a top public university) and who may not obtain a History MA, would I have any chance in getting into a top History PhD program (majored in African American Studies- undergrad)?

P.S. the African American Studies programs have top historians in my field, African American History

What would be important is that if you earn an African American studies MA your writing sample should be historical in nature, and that you have a couple letters from professors who have been trained as historians, though all of your letters do not need to be from history PhDs.  So, yes, you would have a good chance to be admitted to a top history program.  In fact, here is the CV of a prof with a similar record admitted to Indiana Bloomington a few years back. http://www.tanishacford.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CV-for-website-copy.pdf   

Based on your acceptances line, I would go to which ever one is at Ohio State.  They have a SERIOUS history program, and the contacts you make there could be huge.  Also ditto about doing a history MA thesis.

One of the reasons NC State is one of my top choices, is because of the proximity to both Duke University and UNC Chapel Hill.  By going to NC State, I could take classes at both UNC and Duke in order to get my foot in the door.  But Ohio State does have a great program!!!  Again Thanks!!!