Attending School X with Adviser at School Y

thinking.complex

Is this common? Looked down upon?

In particular, I'm thinking about attending a school in the NYC region that is very strong in logic but perhaps not quite as strong in another area that interests me.  I'm curious if -- down the line -- it could be a realistic option for me to try to get an adviser at another school in the disaster scenario that I don't want to do a dissertation in logic.

This would be something closer to a disaster scenario, and not a plan of mine going in, but I just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into beforehand.

PS -- It is assumed that X does not equal Y in the title :)

I don't really think this happens too often, if it ever happens at all. You might be able to get someone else to be a reader and/or on your thesis committee, but to be your advisor seems difficult. 

I agree with MattDest. It's quite common to have outside committee members, but I think it's much less common to have your main advisor be in a different department (unless that person starts advising you at your home department and then moves before you've finished the dissertation--in that case, I think it's not uncommon for the person to continue advising you). It doesn't seem like a plan you should bank on, even as a disaster scenario.

The absolute only cases in which I've seen anything like this pulled off (as opposed to having them as your external examiner) is when your advisor is originally at school X (where you also are) and you're ABD. Then, advisor moves to school Y and works something out with the administration at school X in order to maintain their status as your advisor or chair.

This, though, doesn't mean you can't develop a working relationship with 'person at Y'--you probably should at least try to do so, but how successful you will be is a function of how famous 'person at Y' is and how good you (honestly) are and who you know who knows 'person at Y.'