Let's talk Funding

strudelle

I'm very curious to know what kind of funding people have been offered and what is considered a "good" funding package.  I'm wondering if what I have been offered is standard, good, bad, etc.  Would anyone be willing to share funding details?

I am not particularly comfortable with publicly posting my funding details, so I don't blame you if you are not comfortable with this either.  I would be more than happy to conduct discussions via PM.  Please message me if you would like to swap funding package details.  Maybe other people who are interested in learning about other people's funding packages can request PMs via this thread?

I agree with everyone who has said that sharing funding info gives us a better idea of what we are receiving and empowers us as students to accept the best offers for us and to understand what we are being offered.  

I'm very curious to know what kind of funding people have been offered and what is considered a "good" funding package.  I'm wondering if what I have been offered is standard, good, bad, etc.  Would anyone be willing to share funding details?

I am not particularly comfortable with publicly posting my funding details, so I don't blame you if you are not comfortable with this either.  I would be more than happy to conduct discussions via PM.  Please message me if you would like to swap funding package details.  Maybe other people who are interested in learning about other people's funding packages can request PMs via this thread?

I agree with everyone who has said that sharing funding info gives us a better idea of what we are receiving and empowers us as students to accept the best offers for us and to understand what we are being offered.  

I found that the website gradpay.org is a good resource for finding out amounts of fellowship offers as well.

For all of you archaeologists focusing on older periods, ISAW (NYU) offers: 

"All students admitted to our program are offered fellowships covering tuition, fees, and a twelve-month stipend, which in 2013-14 is about $36,000. Fellowship packages are for five years, with the possibility of a sixth year of funding where warranted" (http://isaw.nyu.edu/graduate-program/admissions-and-financial-aid)

The stipend (which does not include any teaching obligation) will be $36,900 for students beginning next year. There is also a possibility to get summer funding for excavations, and to hold TAships and RAships. 

It won't allow a re-take. Is there something I can do to get around this?

I just opened an incognito window (chrome) to retake it

Hm, I thought I could easily share the results, but sharing is only available for paid accounts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can share it without making things complicated?

I don't know what the results look like but you could do a screen shot of them maybe?  Or copy and paste them?

Also, thanks for doing this Sara.  I wouldn't have thought to make a survey. 

Edited by strudelle

OK. I'll do the screen capture. I'll update them as I get new responses. I'm going to insert links instead of the picture, so it doesn't take too much space.

Participant 1

Participant 2

Participant 3

Participant 4

Participant 5

Participant 6

Participant 7

Participant 8

Participant 9

Participant 10

Participant 11

Participant 12

Participant 13

Participant 14 

Participant 15

Participant 16

Participant 17

Participant 18

Participant 19

Participant 20

Edited by sarab

Gosh, if there's anything we learn quickly from those results it's that universities are doing a terrible job explaining the funding packages that they're offering. Hopefully everyone is asking a long list of questions of their POIs, departments, etc. to ensure they really understand the funding package - such as:

Do the hours specified per week for the TA position include all work, grading, etc that is performed in total?

If tuition is waived, is it waived for all years, or only those during the TA/RA position? What tuition and fees must be paid in years without a TA/RA?

What tuition/fees must be paid while away for fieldwork?

How often do students get additional internal/external funding?

How do most students fund the years beyond the funding?

Is the stipend or TA/RA salary paid weekly, monthly, semester, or lump sum for the year?

If a tuition waiver is tied to a TA/RA position, does the waiver cover only the semester of the TA/RA position or the whole school year? For example, can you take 1 semester off from the TA/RA position and still have the waiver for the school year?

How many TA/RA positions are open each semester for students? Are new students considered for those positions first? How does the hiring process work? How are students placed  in order of priority for the positions?

...and that's just the beginning of the clarifying questions we need to be asking...

I agree Canis. Those are very important questions to ask, and I encourage everyone to email the grad coordinator/assistant. I have found that they are usually very helpful, and if they don't know, they will tell you who does.

The survey lets us compare the basics though, and that's something good to know.

One thing to keep in mind, not all TA jobs are the same. Some you won't neither put in 20 but some if you allow it will work you 30-40 hr. in those cases stick up for yourself and don't allow it. You are there to get your phd/masters not be the absolute best TA

Here are some preliminary results, I added my MA to make N=25.

I realize I left stuff out, but I don't have too much time to waste on this! ha! Perhaps I can do more later.

Enjoy! 

N =25 Participants

• 19 (76%) Participants entered PhD Program
  • 6 (24%) Participants entered MA Program

Field of Study

• 9 (36%) Participants applied to Cultural Anthropology 
  • 3 (12%) Participants applied to Linguistic Anthropology
  • 11 (44%) Participants applied to Archaeology
  • 1 (4%) Participant applied to Biological Anthropology
  • 1 (4%)  Participant applied to Medical Anthropology

Field_zps3a68baff.png 

Funding:

• Average funding package = $16,610
  • Maximum award package = $36,900
  • Minimum award package = $0
  • 19 (76%) students had tuition waived
  • 6 (24%) students did not receive tuition remission 

MeanAmount_zps4a91cfc1.png

Funding Continued:

• Average amount of years funded = 3.5
  • Maximum years funded = 7
  • Minimum years funded = 0

YearsFunded_zpscfd30a94.png

Health Insurance:

• 10 (40%) of participants received full coverage
  • 6 (24%) of participants received no coverage
  • 5 (20%) of participants unknown
  • 4 (16%) of participants received partial coverage

Insurance_zps4c0cc94f.png

Edited by DigDeep

DigDeep and Sara, You guys are amazing.  This is such a great resource, and should definitely be added to the wisdom repository once all the data is gathered.  I love this site and all the support here :) I'm going to recommend it to my students when I'm a mentor and/or professor some day.

Edited by strudelle