Stanford ICME

Hey all, I am applying to Stanford ICME and I just would like some information about how competitive the program is for PhD applicants (obviously it's competitive, but perhaps some statistics) as they don't publish them on their website.

Some stuff about me:

- >3.9 GPA 

- Highly ranked public University

- Mathematics and Computer science major with minor in Physics

- Will have taken several upper-level courses in applied mathematics/science/engineering, as well as a few graduate-level courses, before graduating

- Will have recommendations from three professors who I have done research with, and possibly one more professor as well

- TA for a couple computer science courses

- A few minor academic awards

(Note that this stuff isn't conjectural, as I am already well on my way to doing, or have done, each of these things, besides the GRE part and essay)

Conjectural things:

- GRE is not required for ICME, but I am good at standardized testing so if a good GRE still helps, I will take it

- Good writing skills, so hopefully I can write a credible essay

- Hoping to make top 500 on Putnam

I feel that I should have a relatively strong application once the time comes, but on the downside, it is unlikely that I will publish anything [meaningful] before graduate school; so research impact I would say is the major downside of my application since research is so important for graduate school.

Stanford ICME is a great graduate program. As you probably know, now they offer three additional tracks in computational geosciences, mathematical finance, and data science; which are good news if you want to focus on one of these areas.

You look like a strong applicant, but make sure to write a great SoP and try to get in touch with your POI before applying (visit campus if possible). Do you have or plan to have any publications before applying? Push to get at least conference publications as that would help a lot. In any case, Stanford is no that competitive for master programs (differente story for PhD).

Also, make sure to apply for the right program. Most Sanford departments (not sure about IMCE) require undergraduates to apply for the M.S., and then (upon admission) students compete to get one of the few PhD positions.

Good luck!!

Are the professors well known in their field? I hear that's important.

Is the GRE recommended for ICME? If so, I'd take it.

Does Stanford actually weight gpas above 4.0? Does anyone? (Aside:if they do, my ugpa should be higher and I am now sad that I God not indicate that)

I'd say your profile is very competitive though.

It would be nice to have publications, but none of my current research is likely to be published, and because the research I'm doing in the future is in a similar vein as some other students I know (with the same professors), who didn't publish anything (but did give some talks at conferences), the chances of my publishing something don't seem that high. I will try, but I'm not sure how likely it will be.

I believe that, for this program at least, you apply directly for PhD. I will, of course, check.

I will definitely visit the campus and be in touch with professors I'd like to work with, once it gets closer to application time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least one of the professors is quite well known in his field, though not a Nobelist or anything. They are all tenured.

The GRE is actually required, I'm not sure why I thought it wasn't. It's just the subject area that is not required, but they recommend math, CS, or physics. I would likely take math or CS.

Stanford is actually one of the few schools that weight GPA above 4.0. At least two other top 20 schools that I know of (including my own undergrad school) do this, so it's not that uncommon. That said, since everyone is coming from different undergrad universities, they might just ignore A+ in GPA, in that case my GPA would be around 3.97 when I graduate (due only to my freshman year; hopefully I will continue to maintain 4.0 from now on).

Thanks both of you for answering.