Funding or Reputation?

Luna1

I am currently weighing offers of very different qualities, but both schools have top supervisors in my field that are willing to take me on.

The first is an internationally renowned institution with an excellent department, but no money... They offer 4 years of funding with TAships and small scholarships, little summer support, and underfunded health benefits.

The second has a much less prestigious reputation, but their department is strong with a good reputation and they have TONS of money... They offer 6 years of funding, including TAships and huge scholarships (I am getting 32,000 + tuition in the first year...). They give full summer support and insane health benefits. I would not have to go into debt if I took this offer..

What would you choose?! 

I would choose the funding, that seems much less stressful to me. If they both have people you want to work with that seems the clear choice to me. But I am not that big on prestige either.

Have you asked the internationally renowned institution for more money? If not, you might send your fantastic funding offer from the less prestigious university to see if they're willing to negotiate.

If the internationally renowned institution won't (or can't) increase your funding package, you're almost certainly better off at the less prestigious university. You mentioned that it's a strong department with a good reputation. Moreover, given the job market, you would be wise not to take on a significant amount of debt.  

If it was e.g. 32k at the second school vs. 30k at the first school, I would say that the stipend should not play a large role in your selection. I'd say go with the program that will set you up the best for your goals/career post-PhD. However, you imply that you might go into debt with the first school, so this sounds like a much larger difference. In this case, I'd say go for the funded, less stressful offer!

I also agree with the others to show the first school the offer from the second school. If they agree to match it, or increase their funding enough so that you won't be in financial trouble, then go there :) But you should only do this if you will definitely go to the first school should they match your offer.

Thanks! I have shown the offer the more prestigious school, but they are unable to match it and state they are already offering their best. 

I was leaning towards funding too, just looking for confirmation. Thanks everyone!