Rush University

Hi guys! I've been lurking this forum since January, and it's amazing to see everyone so supportive of each other! Now that I've been hearing back from schools I had some questions... Does anyone know anything about the program at Rush? Right now I'm in between Boston University (I loved it when I visited for interviews), Rush and maybe MGH. BU is just so expensive, and would cost me about 20k total more than Rush. I'm interested in the med side of SLP so I know Rush would be a good fit, but I'm wondering if anyone has visited the program/ have heard of students' opinions. I won't be able to make the orientation so I'll have to sort of figure things out the best I can.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi guys! I've been lurking this forum since January, and it's amazing to see everyone so supportive of each other! Now that I've been hearing back from schools I had some questions... Does anyone know anything about the program at Rush? Right now I'm in between Boston University (I loved it when I visited for interviews), Rush and maybe MGH. BU is just so expensive, and would cost me about 20k total more than Rush. I'm interested in the med side of SLP so I know Rush would be a good fit, but I'm wondering if anyone has visited the program/ have heard of students' opinions. I won't be able to make the orientation so I'll have to sort of figure things out the best I can.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Nala,

I sent you a private message. :)

I'm in the same boat, deciding between Rush, MGH, and Case Western. I've never visited both programs, but I'm planning on going to both of their open houses (thankfully Rush provided two dates to choose from). I'm also interested in the medical side of the field, but honestly don't know if I could go to Rush or MGH due to the price :(   

SLPlovin, did you fill out the financial aid form for rush? I'm really wondering what the chances are of getting aid, and whether they'll inform us before the April 15 deadline. ASHA's edfind website says that a decent number of people got aid, so I was going to call Rush tomorrow and see how that works. It would make a huge difference if any of the schools schools we applied to would let us know before decision time...

Nala,

Yeah I filled out the forms, but I'm thinking that that's primarily for financial aid as in loans that we have to pay back. I'm hoping to hear something about scholarships or grants, and yeah if I could hear before the April 15th deadline it would be extreeemely helpful. I don't know if the numbers on ASHAs site for who gets aid is including loans or if it only includes grants/scholarships. If you find anything out, please post!!

Hey Everybody!

I was also admitted to MGH and Rush, and I was really struggling with the decision for a while. I've finally come to the decision that MGH is just to expensive for me. I will be attending the open house at Rush (would have been cool to see you SLPlovin- but I am attending the first date). Nala, I can definitely post to this board and let you know what I think. Right now I am 90% Rush, but I am still waiting to hear from my alma mater, the University of Florida (an instate school would be half the cost!). I have never been to Chicago before, so this will be a huge move for this Florida girl. Anybody know anything about housing in Chicago? Also Sayjo, would you mind sending me a pm too? I would really appreciate any insight that you have.

The good news is that we have all been admitted to some amazing programs- the hard part is over! Regardless of our decisions, it is comforting to know that we all will be receiving an amazing education. Weigh the pros and cons, and go with your gut...

slpandme, that would be so helpful! Thank you! And I completely agree that these are good problems to have, but that doesn't make the choice any easier :unsure:  I saw on the results page that someone got a scholarship to Rush, so you (and SLPlovin) might want to check your email/Rush portal. If you can't log in, call the IS help desk and they will give you your username/password over the phone. I unfortunately didn't receive anything, but maybe you did! 

Thanks Nala, I took your advice and called to get my login stuff. No scholarships to Rush or MGH....bummed. Probably won't be attending either because of it. Congrats to everyone who got accepted and scholarships though!

I'm with you SLPlovin! I'm a bit sad because I really wanted to go to one of those great schools... but the rational side of me can't (and I've tried) justify taking out an extra 80k in loans. What's meant to be is meant to be though, and I'm sure we'll be well-prepared wherever we go.  :)  B)  Are you planning on going to a local school in Michigan? 

Yeah I can't get myself to take out those kind of loans either... For me I think it's either going to be Pittsburgh, case western in Cleveland, or a local michigan school...all of which will be substantially cheaper. And yourself? Staying local?

Yeah I can't get myself to take out those kind of loans either... For me I think it's either going to be Pittsburgh, case western in Cleveland, or a local michigan school...all of which will be substantially cheaper. And yourself? Staying local?

Probably! Still waiting on options here in Cali... I have a feeling I will be making my decision close to the deadline, but hopefully I can make a decision ASAP so I can free up space on waitlists!