accepting an funding offer?

Guest criminologist

Guest criminologist

I was accepted with funding to one of my top choice programs, I was just wondering if I accept the offer in writing (signature) can I change my mind later if I decide I don't want to attend? e.g. decide to accept a job offer instead which came later but still before Apr. 15 deadline.

Thanks

I have not seen any funded offer that requires you to actually attend that program later no matter what. Usually the funded offer will require you actually attend/complete the semesters for which you are funded in order to receive that funding, so if they pay for Sept-Dec in Sept and you quit in October, then you will probably have to pay back some or all of your funding. As a student, you can quit anytime, including before you start.

In your case, if you know you will make the decision (job or school) before April 15, then you should just wait until you are ready to decide and then decide (decline all your other schools though so there is room on the waitlist if that exists). If you won't know about your other job until like August or whatever, then just proceed as if you will attend school and change your path later!

In general, quitting before you start will probably mean you will lose whatever deposits you might have paid for registration hold, but since you would probably not yet get paid in advance for your funded offer, you won't have to do things like pay back fellowship/scholarship money etc.

Guest criminologist

I have not seen any funded offer that requires you to actually attend that program later no matter what. Usually the funded offer will require you actually attend/complete the semesters for which you are funded in order to receive that funding, so if they pay for Sept-Dec in Sept and you quit in October, then you will probably have to pay back some or all of your funding. As a student, you can quit anytime, including before you start.

In your case, if you know you will make the decision (job or school) before April 15, then you should just wait until you are ready to decide and then decide (decline all your other schools though so there is room on the waitlist if that exists). If you won't know about your other job until like August or whatever, then just proceed as if you will attend school and change your path later!

In general, quitting before you start will probably mean you will lose whatever deposits you might have paid for registration hold, but since you would probably not yet get paid in advance for your funded offer, you won't have to do things like pay back fellowship/scholarship money etc.

Thanks for your post it was helpful. 

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use