Accepted an offer...now want to reject it! anyone in the same shoes?

ceeceeroni

Hello! 

I accepted an offer from one of the schools I applied to (MS in school psych) without knowing that I would get admitted to Psy. D program in school psychology. After getting an acceptance letter from Psy. D program, I decided to accept the offer and reject masters program.

Psy. D is fully funded whereas MS program only offered me a scholarship (35% tuition remission with GA position). Since I am an international student, I have a limited funding resource and my parents decided not to cover my expenses for grad school.  

I know that it is unethical to reject the offer I already accepted and I have already talked with program director about the program in details...how can I politely explain my situation and reject the offer? I would like to know if there is someone who had a similar experience as this. Thank you! 

This topic might help you: 

Thank you for the reply!

I read it over...and I am wondering if situation would be different if I have not paid my deposit and just sent a written (email) acceptance to the department. 

I know that I am jeopardizing the department and other applicants by rejecting my offer and you are right that reputation matters in academia. 

I really don't know what to do...

I have no experience whatsoever in these matters, but I think that if you are sure about your wish to take the other offer you should decline the 'accepted' offer asap. It would be even more rude to keep them hanging in there, believing you will attend.

This topic might help you: 

I don't think these are quite comparable.

You have until April 15th on most American schools to decide. Decisions aren't finalized until then. Don't worry, there's very little chance this hurt anyone. And as for the reputation, I don't think this is quite so bad if you're not going for a PhD.

(Let's cite my source here: "In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and sub-sequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made."  https://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf )

Definitely let them know right away. I'm sorry I don't have much more to offer on how... But I don't think it's bad to write a polite e-mail about how you sincerely apologize (which you should!), how the situation has changed, and you cannot join them for the coming semester. Maybe check with someone from the department that you trust before sending the e-mail.

I know it's too late, but if anyone reads this down the line: you can try to use your news of funding from another school as a bargaining chip for funding at a preferred school. Something to look into! (But at this point, for you in particular ceeceeroni, I think it would be considered a bit rude and probably not worth it.)