Need advice!! Academy of Art Univ. or Syracuse Univ.?

marijuana1127

Hi, I just got admitted by the graduate program of Academy of Art University and Syracuse University. Illustration major. Syracuse University gives me a 60% tuition scholarship. And I am still waiting for SVA and MICA's decision. If they reject me, I may choose from AAU and SU.

I heard both pros and cons of AAU, mostly are bad sides. I love the commercial, the location and the courses, seems very practical. I may have more job opportunities after I graduate. But they don't offer scholarship or TA for international students, and I am not sure about the teaching quality and school reputation. 

I know little about Syracuse University, and I don't know much about its illustration major. The location seems a big thing to me, I don't like the freezing cold weather. But I read some comments, someone said SU has a very strong illustration program, I hope anyone who can give me some more useful details.

Would you mind give me some advice? Or any forums like Gradcafe that I can get more information? Thanks!

Edited by marijuana1127

Since AAU has a 100% acceptance rate, a high staff turn over I'd recommend Syracuse. I actually applied to the video program at Syracuse and was considering AAU when I first started looking at programs. I did a decent amount of research on AAU and while there were a small amount of positive feedback most was very negative.I'd advise you to check out reviews for a better idea of what I'm talking about. Also, the price tag is WAY different, Syracuse is like 10k cheaper a year so inless you have like 60k(AAU admission estimate for 3 yrs) lying around I would strongly consider going to Syracuse. Hope that helps. ...

Since AAU has a 100% acceptance rate, a high staff turn over I'd recommend Syracuse. I actually applied to the video program at Syracuse and was considering AAU when I first started looking at programs. I did a decent amount of research on AAU and while there were a small amount of positive feedback most was very negative.I'd advise you to check out reviews for a better idea of what I'm talking about. Also, the price tag is WAY different, Syracuse is like 10k cheaper a year so inless you have like 60k(AAU admission estimate for 3 yrs) lying around I would strongly consider going to Syracuse. Hope that helps. ...

Syracuse! I applied for the MFA in Painting and recently had a virtual tour of the school on Skype. Beautiful campus, lovely art facilities, and very strong student work. I believe illustration was their biggest major. Wish I could say more, but overall I had a very good impression. 

Syracuse! I applied for the MFA in Painting and recently had a virtual tour of the school on Skype. Beautiful campus, lovely art facilities, and very strong student work. I believe illustration was their biggest major. Wish I could say more, but overall I had a very good impression. 

Yeah, Syracuse. academy of art is not really taken terribly seriously.

Also consider that Syracuse is more afforable to live...rent is significantly cheaper than around the other schools. I went there for undergrad for painting.

Oh wow, thanks for those useful advice! And by the way, I just got placed in the wait list of SVA. Since I've never argued before, but I will give it a try. Is there any skills? How am I gonna convince them I will be the right choice? 

Thanks again!