CV vs Math GRE

I have been driving myself nuts over this and am looking for some opinions. Here are the stats I am applying with:

Undergrad: math degree from well known but unranked liberal arts/tech school, B+ GPA, minor research & TA experience

Grad: Applied Math masters from top 15 Applied Math school, A- GPA

Work Experience: 3 yrs Operations Research, 2 major research efforts

Teaching Experience: 3 yrs undergrad teaching, multiple teaching awards, research in Algebra with papers ready to go to referee

GRE: 90th+ percentile

Math Subject GRE: 31st percentile

Hopeful Schools: top 25 Math/Applied Math PhD programs

Obviously I am going to take the subject GRE again, but my record clearly indicates that I can do graduate coursework and research. My fear is that my Math Subject GRE is low enough to prevent the rest of my application from being seen. How worried should I be?

Edited by 61Analyst

I have been driving myself nuts over this and am looking for some opinions. Here are the stats I am applying with:

Undergrad: math degree from well known but unranked liberal arts/tech school, B+ GPA, minor research & TA experience

Grad: Applied Math masters from top 15 Applied Math school, B+ GPA

Work Experience: 3 yrs Operations Research, 2 major research efforts

Teaching Experience: 3 yrs undergrad teaching, multiple teaching awards, research with papers ready to go to referee

GRE: 90th+ percentile

Math Subject GRE: 31st percentile

Hopeful Schools: top 25 Math/Applied Math PhD programs

Obviously I am going to take the subject GRE again, but my record clearly indicates that I can do graduate coursework and research. My fear is that my Math Subject GRE is low enough to prevent the rest of my application from being seen. How worried should I be?

I am not sure about applied math PhD programs, but pure Math PhD programs are very competitive and your GPA might really be an issue

Edited by StatPhD2014

Oops, slight GPA edit for Grad. I hadn't thought that my GPA was that far off the mark for pure, but then I only applied to applied programs when I was applying for my masters 5 years ago.

It's not impossible to break the top 25, but you'll have some work cut out for you. Since you have research experience, I'd try to get some good letters of recommendation out of that. What is your GPA like in your upper division math classes?

Also, I think your subject test is a little low. Even though the MGRE doesn't matter as much for applied math, I think trying to score at least 50th percentile is ideal, otherwise you shouldn't submit it. Do a lot of applied math PhD programs even require the subject test now?

I only have a Master's degree in Applied Math, so I am uncertain about the requirements of the subject test for PhD programs. But it definitely seems as though "lower" scores (i.e. 50-70th percentile) are more tolerated for applied math programs. I've seen people get into places like UW, Texas A&M, and Northwestern with math GRE scores in that range. But below 50th percentile still doesn't look great.

My undergrad Math GPA was around A-ish.

Many applied programs are listing the MGRE as recommended.

With me starting at 30%, I am not sure how high to hope for on my retake this fall, but I would be ecstatic if I saw 50%. I definitely get the vibe that applied programs are more tolerant of lower scores. I am in the same situation as far as degrees go, with a Masters in Applied Math as well.

Edited by 61Analyst

That's great! I think your application will at least be 'in the discussion,' depending on how strong your letters of recommendation are. It's hard to predict your chances, but I'd say that the subject test score is the most glaring deficiency in your profile, and there isn't a guarantee that you could make it into a "top" schools. So best to apply widely rather than restrict your search to the "top" schools.

I would really really study hard to for math GRE and retake. I think that phd programs will except yours to be very high since you already have a masters and many people taking it dont.

All of my contacts in the grad studies world are at institutions I am applying to, so I am getting a fair amount of the "It is hard to say but you seem like a reasonable candidate" sort of thing. I have actually had more luck with my fellow faculty at the institution where I am currently a lecturer.

Latte- I had not considered the possibility of higher expectations for the MGRE score due to the fact that I have already completed one grad program. Thanks.

All of my contacts in the grad studies world are at institutions I am applying to, so I am getting a fair amount of the "It is hard to say but you seem like a reasonable candidate" sort of thing. I have actually had more luck with my fellow faculty at the institution where I am currently a lecturer.

Latte- I had not considered the possibility of higher expectations for the MGRE score due to the fact that I have already completed one grad program. Thanks.

So you are applying to the institution you did your MS degree at as well? Usually professors will comment on what it takes to get into top programs, even if they dont comment on your application itself.

Yes, I am applying to the place where I got my MS. I have gotten some advice, but I can't exactly ask "just how bad is a 31% MGRE"; especially with my GRE score and my plans to retake.

It is somewhat comforting that the Cornell CAM only recommends, not requires, the MGRE. If they have it as optional for applied math, then it can't be that much of a make or break.

Yes, I am applying to the place where I got my MS. I have gotten some advice, but I can't exactly ask "just how bad is a 31% MGRE"; especially with my GRE score and my plans to retake.

It is somewhat comforting that the Cornell CAM only recommends, not requires, the MGRE. If they have it as optional for applied math, then it can't be that much of a make or break.

You don't need to ask about your application in general or lead off with it. If they have done admissions ask them what they look for in a candidate in terms of grades, strength of undergrad insitution, importance of research (for example can it overcome poor  or less than stellar performance in coursework), after this you can ask some questions specific to your situation. For example in Stats some departments such as Columbia or Uchicago highly recommend the Math subject test, but that is actually a means for them to gather more information about your math background. If you went to a top 10 university, and had a great GPA in mathm then the subject test becomes irrelevant for them

I am visiting one of my prospective schools in preparation for the next application cycle, so I will have to keep these questions in mind.

I think my biggest strength is going to be my research experience: two government projects (one very high impact) and a publication in coordination for research an area of Algebra

I guess I should really be asking how much these schools (all pretty big research schools) value applicant research records.

I think it might help at least a little. I know some people in applied math programs whose undergrad degrees were in physics or engineering. However, they had research experience in a field that overlapped with applied math (e.g. computer vision or computational fluid dynamics).

It's harder to predict what adcoms are looking for exactly in applied math than in statistics or pure math.  However, based on my knowledge of the process and based on the stats of those who have gotten into PhD programs in applied math, I definitely do think applied math is more forgiving about lower math GRE scores and GPAs than pure math or statistics. (e.g. over at mathematicsgre.com, I see someone who got an F in abstract algebra but who still got into some applied math PhD programs. And a search for "applied math" on the results page here suggests that as well).