Applied for PhD but got admitted to an Ed.M Instead

naomi6

I'm completing my MA degree this Spring Semester. I applied to a few Doctoral programs in the field of education. I recently received an acceptance letter; however, it is to a Ed.M. program which I did not apply for. I find it strange that I was considered for the Masters program when 1) I checked no on the application for consideration into the master  program and 2) I'm currently completing a Master program.

Why didnt they just reject my application?

I can't fanthom the idea of spending another 2 years for another master degree... plus the cost (My current school debt is $40,000).... It took me three years to finish my current MA program (attended part-time due to full time job)....

The school I'm currently attending doesn't offer doctoral degrees in Education.

If i was to attend the Ed.M., will i increase my chance of getting into the PhD I initially applied for?

I don't know anything about this school or education programs, but I know of at least one psychology program that does this and, in my opinion, it's just a cash grab. The PhD program is world-class, but the MA program is expensive and students get no resources or funding. You already have a master's, I can't imagine how a second one would help.

The degree itself wouldn't help; however, the materials that  I would learn at that particular school would benefit me in a tremendous way. It's the idea of taking out loans for a similar degree (even though it is a different school....I currently have an MA in Psychology.... I applied to school of education) doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't mind taking out loans for a doctoral program since it is a different degree than what I already have. I haven't received their financial aid package yet to see how much their funding will offset tuition. Also, I still  have two more applications that I'm waiting to hear from.

I just though it was bizarre I got accepted to their Ed.M. when I didn't request/indicate on my application that I would like to be considered for that degree. 

Letter from admission:  "Congrats you got accepted to the program. Although your Doctoral application was a strong one, we deem the Masters of Education is more appropriate at this time"