Purdue University 2014

Wisdom-Lover

Hey! If funding goes through, I will start working on getting my MA in American Studies from August on.

I'm an international student from Germany. Never been to the Midwest. Should be interesting! :D

Yes! I am in the same boat! I am waiting on word about funding, which I am hoping to hear about in the next week or so! :) So, what does American studies entail exactly? History, language, sociology? It sounds interesting! I hope you get the funding you need because I visited the city, and it is wonderful!

I'll actually be starting at Purdue this summer, at the beginning of May. I'll be starting early as an RA for a computer science PhD project.

Yes! I am in the same boat! I am waiting on word about funding, which I am hoping to hear about in the next week or so! :) So, what does American studies entail exactly? History, language, sociology? It sounds interesting! I hope you get the funding you need because I visited the city, and it is wonderful!

I would mostly focus on sociology and issues of sexuality, gender, race, and class. Already got my B.A. in American Studies and I miss being in school and actually being able to use my brain.

My wallet doesn't really allow me to see (West) Lafayette and Purdue before August. Could you maybe tell me a bit more about your experience there? I was a bit worried about the small town aspect and how open/accepting people were there (I'm gay). I guess Purdue would be a bit different anyway though because there are so many people from all over the world. I'm mostly just really excited!

I'll actually be starting at Purdue this summer, at the beginning of May. I'll be starting early as an RA for a computer science PhD project.

Let us know how you like it there! Guess that makes you a bit of a guinea pig haha.

That sounds awesome!! Are you living on or off campus? (Assuming you're living off campus and have not found a place to live, Greater Lafayette is cheaper as far as housing goes, but I heard the parking pass is $250 (per semester or year, I'm not sure). Of course there are the bus systems and the options to walk and/or bike to campus.) Good luck with your research! :)

I would mostly focus on sociology and issues of sexuality, gender, race, and class. Already got my B.A. in American Studies and I miss being in school and actually being able to use my brain.

My wallet doesn't really allow me to see (West) Lafayette and Purdue before August. Could you maybe tell me a bit more about your experience there? I was a bit worried about the small town aspect and how open/accepting people were there (I'm gay). I guess Purdue would be a bit different anyway though because there are so many people from all over the world. I'm mostly just really excited!

I would miss being in school, too! (I plan to be a professor, though, so I guess that shows how much I'd miss it! haha) 

I understand lack of finances. I just happened to have an opportunity to visit, though for only a short time of about 2.5 days... So, I will describe to the best of my ability. (N.B.: I go to school at a small university that very few have heard of and give credit to as a good school. It's also in a small rural town. If any bias comes out (and it will be a positive bias), I apologize and hope I do not mislead much, if I end up misleading at all...)

Lafayette has many older homes that were colorful and looked well-kept. It gave the town (the part I drove through) a sense of quiet suburbs while having the atmosphere of city life. There is PLENTY to do on the Greater Lafayette side: chain restaurants, Target, local places, I was told about bars, and more. I did not visit anywhere on the Greater Lafayette side, staying exclusively on the west side of the river by the campus. I stayed in the Union Club Hotel on campus (it was VERY nice as was the staff). There is one parking garage across from the hotel which is where visitors park as well as students (I think). There is more than one parking garage, if I remember correctly. (Here's a map.) I am not used to this next bit, so I was highly impressed with it: the buildings were all very impressive and/or prestigious feeling. My current school is relatively young, so it doesn't have the nice "old and established" sense. (That is probably a bias. But you might get what I mean if you see the pictures of the buildings on the website.) I can't say much more about the location itself.

The people I can say a little about, though, I am not sure about all aspects as I stayed within one sphere, mostly. However, if this gives you an idea, I will admit that I got lost 3 or 4 times, and each time a student of their own volition approached me to offer me directions. To me, that spoke volumes. But the campus is CERTAINLY diverse, ethnically-speaking at the very least. There are students from many countries. Again, though, I was mostly within the small sphere of the graduate philosophy students/faculty... They were absolutely wonderful, though! I felt like I was already a student there because they were so open and accepting! I'm sorry I cannot offer much more... And I hope that you will find a similar atmosphere/sense.

It felt rather "hipster"--though not the snooty, "I'm cooler 'cause I'm not mainstream" version sometimes portrayed--which I am rather pleased with personally. :) It just felt intelligent and accepting and fun and mature all at once. I most definitely had rose colored glasses on at the time. All the same, I think Lafayette is a good city to move to, and I cannot wait, it being my first true extended city living adventure!

Hi guys, although I won't be attending Purdue for graduate studies, I actually grew up in there area (since the late 90's) and am currently wrapping up my undergrad . I'd be happy to answer questions if you guys want. 

@Wisdom-Lover

Thanks for sharing your experience there!. This actually helped a lot! :) At the moment, I'm probably tending towards living in Lafayette rather than West Lafayette.

I just hope we will have some updates on funding soon. It feels like the waiting game never ends when it comes to graduate schools/admissions.

Let us know how you like it there! Guess that makes you a bit of a guinea pig haha.

Thanks! Will do.

That sounds awesome!! Are you living on or off campus? (Assuming you're living off campus and have not found a place to live, Greater Lafayette is cheaper as far as housing goes, but I heard the parking pass is $250 (per semester or year, I'm not sure). Of course there are the bus systems and the options to walk and/or bike to campus.) Good luck with your research! :)

I'm almost certainly going to live off-campus. I've also heard that the east side of the river is better for grad students in general. I'll be getting a car before I head out there. I'm still trying to piece together how best to find a location -- I've never gotten an apartment in a new city before!

I'm almost certainly going to live off-campus. I've also heard that the east side of the river is better for grad students in general. I'll be getting a car before I head out there. I'm still trying to piece together how best to find a location -- I've never gotten an apartment in a new city before!

That's good to hear. And I've had to get apartments in numerous cities before being able to actually visit the place. I studied abroad (at UCD) during my undergrad and Craigslist was really quite helpful when it came to finding an apartment/roommates. I've also seen housing groups for other schools on FB before. Not sure if there's anything for Purdue though. 

@Wisdom-Lover

Thanks for sharing your experience there!. This actually helped a lot! :) At the moment, I'm probably tending towards living in Lafayette rather than West Lafayette.

I just hope we will have some updates on funding soon. It feels like the waiting game never ends when it comes to graduate schools/admissions.

Definitely agree with your "waiting game never ends" comment... It makes me tired thinking about it. :( I'm glad that helped, though. ^^

Thanks! Will do.

SaschaA has more experience, so I don't know if you'll want any suggestions from me because this will all be a new adventure for me as well! :) But in the City Guide forum for Lafayette, someone posted this link for finding apartments. You can narrow the searches based on such things as whether you want it North of State St. in West Lafayette or if you want it in Greater Lafayette or if you want to be able to have cats or dogs or no smoking, etc. It's really cool, and, unless suggested otherwise, I will probably use that website for renting. (You can "message" the apartment owners and such, which I thought was sort of neat.) I am thinking of living in Greater Lafayette as well, but I guess we'll see! :)

Hi guys! Just wanted to throw in my two cents because I just finished undergrad at Purdue and have some experience with housing and all that. First off, I think living across the river (in Lafayette, not WL) is a good idea, especially for grad students. I transferred in from out of state so I rented an apt sight unseen in West Lafayette that advertised it was an easy walk or bike ride to campus, turns out it was about 4 miles away down the hwy with no bike path. I moved to a place near downtown that was cheaper and much bigger and was actually within walking/biking distance. There's also a fairly decent bus service that is free for students which I'd recommend because parking is a bit of a mess as permits are really expensive and are only valid in certain lots so most people end up having to take a bus in from the parking lot anyway. There is some free 2 hr parking near campus but they are very serious about that time limit!

If you do find a place to rent downtown, be cautious of places in old historic looking houses. Some of them are lovely and well kept but a lot are just run down and in really bad shape and pictures can be deceiving. Get it in writing in the lease that everything advertised will be in good working condition and check out the property management group's reviews because there are a few that are really awful to deal with.

As far as the town goes, it is a nice enough place and there are some good bars and coffee shops and what not on both sides do the river but it is far from a bustling metropolis. The campus is diverse and there are lots of international students and different kinds of people but once you leave campus you are still in rural Indiana so keep that in mind lol!

Hope that helps and good luck with your grad studies!

Hi guys! Just wanted to throw in my two cents because I just finished undergrad at Purdue and have some experience with housing and all that. First off, I think living across the river (in Lafayette, not WL) is a good idea, especially for grad students. I transferred in from out of state so I rented an apt sight unseen in West Lafayette that advertised it was an easy walk or bike ride to campus, turns out it was about 4 miles away down the hwy with no bike path. I moved to a place near downtown that was cheaper and much bigger and was actually within walking/biking distance. There's also a fairly decent bus service that is free for students which I'd recommend because parking is a bit of a mess as permits are really expensive and are only valid in certain lots so most people end up having to take a bus in from the parking lot anyway. There is some free 2 hr parking near campus but they are very serious about that time limit!

If you do find a place to rent downtown, be cautious of places in old historic looking houses. Some of them are lovely and well kept but a lot are just run down and in really bad shape and pictures can be deceiving. Get it in writing in the lease that everything advertised will be in good working condition and check out the property management group's reviews because there are a few that are really awful to deal with.

As far as the town goes, it is a nice enough place and there are some good bars and coffee shops and what not on both sides do the river but it is far from a bustling metropolis. The campus is diverse and there are lots of international students and different kinds of people but once you leave campus you are still in rural Indiana so keep that in mind lol!

Hope that helps and good luck with your grad studies!

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to know! Thank you so much, rsilver! :D Good luck with your studies, as well! :3

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending in the Fall in the PULSe program.

One of my options too... I'm now making up my mind. I'm an international student so I haven't been to Purdue. Did you go there for the interviews or open campus days or something? 

I don't really know what to expect from (West) Lafayette... 

Awesome! What will you be doing in that, specifically?

I have my PI's for rotations pretty much decided, and I will more likely than not end up working in host-pathogen interactions in one form or another.

One of my options too... I'm now making up my mind. I'm an international student so I haven't been to Purdue. Did you go there for the interviews or open campus days or something? 

I don't really know what to expect from (West) Lafayette... 

I liked the area. I recieved an email saying that I was accepted, so I attended the recruitment day to meet other recruits and potential PI's. I'm actually pretty excited to move out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some news on funding from Purdue this week. Had almost given up on them but I will now definitely start my graduate adventures there this fall!! :D

Since it's all still a bit overwhelming, does anyone know anything about orientation week or what kind of events are planned before instruction starts?

Finally got some news on funding from Purdue this week. Had almost given up on them but I will now definitely start my graduate adventures there this fall!! :D

Since it's all still a bit overwhelming, does anyone know anything about orientation week or what kind of events are planned before instruction starts?

I think it depends on what program that you're in.  Otherwise I'm not sure.

Hello, I'm going for a masters in Aerospace. As far as I know, there's like this small reunion for intl students like a week before starting classes. I believe it is not compulsory, though. What is compulsory, however, is the official registration at the ISS office. They give you a specific date and hour for that, I believe. Anyways, I don't know about other programs, but aerospace has a special website for incoming students, grads or not, where they also notify about reunions within the area and a variety of tips from seasoned students. Maybe other programs have a similar site :P

• 3 weeks later...