Bioinformatics at Georgia Tech

Hello everyone,

How is the Bioinformatics MS(PSM) program at Georgia Tech? How is the general job scenario for bioinformaticians straight out of school ? I have undergraduate degrees in biology and chemical engineering(dual degree), will finding a internship in my first year of grad school be easier with my qualifications?

Thank You Very Much

The school is great. You don't really list your qualifications, just your majors so I can't comment on the ease of getting an internship. In general, internships come easiest to the best programmers so your programming knowledge from undergrad + what you pick up your first year will be important.

@bsharpe269- Thank You for the reply

I never programmed much during my undergrad years except for the coursework (did 2 programming courses), but i managed to pick it up fast and enjoyed it. I know C/C++ and SQL, have to learn python and perl. I will start working on my programming skills these 3-4 months before the program starts. I had many math courses as part of my engineering degree viz. numerical analysis, operations research, optimization, calculus I,II,III, prob&stats.   

All my projects involved wet lab work like gene expression studies and vector cloning. I have done some simulations in MATLAB as well. My only concern is that, we have to find an internship very soon, after the end of the first semester itself. 

Students in my program also secure an internship after 1 semester and no one in the program seems to be struggling at all with getting one. Your programming abilities are about where mine are when I started my program and I was way ahead of a lot of people. My background is in applied math so I also had a strong background in probability, numerical analysis etc which makes learning programming so much easier. I wouldn't worry about the internship... The program will have lots of internship connections already that should make it easier to get one. I was surprised by how easy people seem to be getting internships during the masters and jobs after. I think there is a large need for people with the skillset.