Curatorial Diploma Stuff Question

fullofpink

Personally, I'm on the fence whether I would like to be a curator or not. I'm pretty sure I'd love to go into a museum career, however I'm not opposed to teaching. I know there are very few curators who have actually done both (despite the professors who "guest" curate) and although I'd love to fit into that small margin I know it's based more on chance and luck than skill and perseverance.

I've noticed that many schools are offering a "curatorial certificate" while others offer PhDs specifically incorporating a curatorial track. I also know that many curators today have just their Phd. Is anyone on this forum currently pursuing a C-phd? Or is thinking about doing one?

If anyone feels the need to offer advice on my judgment, I just want to make note that I will not be applying until next year and that I've been working directly underneath a curator of an excellent, mid-size museum. I'm familiar with museums, but I'm not familiar with what type of education the Curatorial tracks entail. I know they include classes like "management" and "exhibition planning" and such, but I'm more interested in what is being expected in regards to art history classes and art knowledge.

Thanks!!

Fullofpink, as present museum professional, with experience in some large "name-brand" museums, presently considering a return for the PHd I can at least speak to the people I have worked with. Generally speaking any sort of academic museum studies training has not been as important (from a hiring stand point) as a really packed museum resume. I am considering the PHd because I've reached the farthest reaches I can with just an MA, but consistently the people who have been beating me out for the next level have a similar resume to mine, plus a Phd. I don't believe just having a Phd with a museum studies certificate would get you the same position, because in addition to solid academic training in your subject area, museums are looking for experience in the practical aspects of museum work. It sounds to me that with your excellent museum-work resume, additional internships and fellowships during school, and a strong Phd you will be well placed for future job prospects. Sorry for the long response, I am a first time poster, but am planning on being around more as we gear up for the 2010 application season. Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions. Also as an FYI I am presently both working in a museum and as an adjunct professor. There are ways to make things happen! Good luck.

Thanks ne! The advice I was given was to just "specialize" in a field. Going for a museum studies certificate/diploma/whatever would be pointless if I were to become a curator since those geared to people who want to work in a museum, not really curate (i.e. registrar). I wonder who this "curatorial" degree is intended to be held by. I know that on a higher level in the museum, like Directors, that just knowing collections isn't going to do it for you - they are looking for people who also have experience in business.

I'm also hesitant to spend 5 years JUST training to be a curator, however some of the programs I've looked at with this certificate enables you to actually work side by side with curators in the museum - it is mandatory. So no process of applying for an internship, etc.,because you are already guaranteed one. Also, if most of the classes focus on aspects that aren't art history (exhibition design, management 101, etc.) then when do you specialize in art history? I know you don't know this ne, I'm just tossing the questions into the air :)

Do you want to be a curator? Or is there another level you'd like to obtain Ne?

I think you were given the best possible advice. In order to curate you need to really know your subject matter, AND know what goes into making an exhibition through practical experience. Plus at the higher levels (full curator/department head etc) in a larger museum, you have someone like me who does all the practical stuff for you and you are free to meet and greet, write, research, and plan exhibitions, basically all the fun stuff! As you can tell I eventually want to get out of the assistant curatorial pit, and get to a place where I can have someone like me working for me! In order to do that in a competitive market, I think I really have to go for the Phd. So thats my story! :)

I'm also hesitant to spend 5 years JUST training to be a curator, however some of the programs I've looked at with this certificate enables you to actually work side by side with curators in the museum - it is mandatory. So no process of applying for an internship, etc.,because you are already guaranteed one. Also, if most of the classes focus on aspects that aren't art history (exhibition design, management 101, etc.) then when do you specialize in art history? ?

There are programs that grant optional "Curatorial Studies" certificates alongside traditional art history PhDs. Off the top of my head, I know that NYU and Rutgers offer this. Basically, you do all the requirements for an art history degree and then take an additional handful of courses on exhibition planning. Similar to curatorial PhD programs, there are internships built into these certificates.

If you're in a traditional art history program, there are definitely ways to get museum experience, as was discussed above. There are museum internships and fellowships you can apply to, and a lot of schools offer seminars that focus on planning an exhibition, even if there is no formal Curatorial Studies track. Some schools (Yale, Princeton to name a couple) also have students work as campus museum assistants as an alternative to working as a TA.

Hope this helps!

I think one of the main draws of curatorial programs are the long-term internships at museums, so if you have had/can get museum internships, that's probably just as useful. Also, most major museums have internship/fellowship programs specifically for graduate students in Art History. With that said, I do know a number of people who have done curatorial programs who wind up as freelance curators or curators at non-museum arts organizations/galleries where there's less emphasis on research/publications (and tend to focus more upon emerging/mid-career artists.) If you're interested in working as a curator at a major museum, I'd definitely go the Art History PhD route rather than curatorial/museum studies.