Jump to content

Need some advice!


knavs0331
 Share

Recommended Posts

To make a long story short, I got a call from the head of the department at my top choice school telling me that my poi does not have guaranteed funding at the moment and there is a potential that I get a year or so into my program and there's no more money for research. Also the current student has chosen to leave the lab and this isn't the first time that's happened (waiting to hear back from that student as to why).

Both of those are red flags to me and make me not want to join that labia PhD program is a big commitment and I don't want to be disappointed a year or so into it.

It sounds like I have the option to do a rotation in the department my first year and decide on am advisor after that. I'm leaning towards this option because I believe I'll have a lot of opportunities at this university and there are a handful of labs I could see myself loving. Plus I like the idea of getting to know multiple labs before I commit myself to one for 5 years.

Should I do this rotation option? Should I be worried about not fitting in anywhere after the rotations? I could really use some advice from you all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if you thought you were 100% certain about that professor, I'd still think a rotation is worth doing. You never know if there will be some form of personality conflict when actually working together. You can include that professor in your rotations if you so desire, but it is always good to fully explore your options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.