Public Schools Vs. Private institutions

JoJoYang

Hi All!

I thought since we are all in the process of hearing back from schools and deciding where we would go, I would bring this matter up and ask you guys what you think!

I personally applied to both public and private schools and now have the problem of deciding between the two. Few of the matters I would like to ask for your opinion.

1) Ranking or no ranking? Does it really matter that much? With my concentration, many of the top schools are all private. Say between Pratt institute and University of Wisconsin, or University of Texas, which one seems more reputable to you? Especially in Design?

2) Is it true that some of the private institutions have better connection as far as faculty is concerned? Like Yale graduates tend to either stay teaching at Yale, or go to other private schools to teach like RISD, PRATT....etc.

3) Should one really go where the money goes? Money is very important, but what if the school is kind of lame? I know you can always work hard in a bad school, and be a terrible student in a good school, but how much does the reputation of a school goes into play after you graduate?

4) If one's goal is to go into academia (Design in my case) would it be better to go a public school or private school? Is it mostly public school grads get public school jobs and private school grads gets private school jobs?

5) What is a better investment? Cheap public school that is not that good, or expensive private schools that is reputable?

I know it is impossible to be totally objective when talking about a department/school, it varies, but theses are just some of the questions I have.

Thanks!