I don't want to belong to any University that will accept people like me as a member

bakalamba

These are great!

Only half of the joke applies to me though (i think).

I'm too humble to be arrogant but pretty dang self-confident.

On the one hand I prepare for all rejections.

However, when I get those rejections, my thought is "yeah thts right im too too good for your school/program"

Unlike the joke, and many of the thoughts posted in this forum, I never question my accesptance to my current program. I was like "Damn straight you should accept me! GOOD CHOICE!"  However this was a bad move as the prrogram turns out to be such a piece of crap program (beaurocratically speaking) that I end up saying, "what the hell did i get myself into? This place barely desrves accredation. What hole did these faculty crawl out of?"  This meaning they are extremely outdated and really need to go back to school themselves and crawl out of their 1960's mentality and outdatedness.

So unlike the joke "I don't want to belong to any University that will accept people like me as a member"

I, myself dont want to belong in a club/university that accepts me due to ME being the only asset to their program (and one other person).  This is because they need to except people with less research experience and people who are a blank slate and people who will blindly accept and not question their outdated information, which is something only the blank slate can do with ease.

"I don't want to belong to any University that will accept ...................." ...outdated faculty like THAT and disregard the changing landscape of research in their field which is counter-productive for......    " .................people like me as a member"

On the flip side those who rejeced me, I was waaay good enough for and on par and its their loss which sucks for them.

Am I arrogant? I think not, as I am humble and openly accepting and admitting of the flaws in my application package for which i was not standardized enough and frankly stood out too much for the comfort zone of conventionalism in the programs that rejected me.

I'm having these fears now. The only acceptance I received (Philosophy) was from New School. How many students do they take (results search indicates 100% acceptance though this is, of course, not statistically significant)? 

Hopefully visiting and speaking with the professors will ease my imposter syndrome.

This is what is known as "Over-Attribution Theory" 

Dont over attibute your rejection to somethng personally linked to you.

ITS NOT PERSONAL.

Rejection is about steep competition.

You are among many many MANY amazing candidates.

Maybe your research topics of interest aligned with faculty to a lesser degree compared to those admitted.

There are a number of factors and it doesnt make you any less of an awesome choice.

They had their chance and it's their loss, not yours!!!

Now those schools that accepted yoou recognized you are an asset and were smart enough to accept you.

THAT is not what makes them less than quality of a choice. What may make a school less than optimal is if they stunt your educational and intellectual growth as a result of being in their program. If not, then its robably a pretty good school, because YOU are a pretty damn good choice.