GPSIA or NPSIA? HELP!

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to both Ottawa and Carleton's MA for international and public affairs.

I am really struggling as to which one will open more career doors as I do not want to work abroad (already have worked abroad). I have received funding at both.

I have a great relationship with the faculty at Ottawa and don't know anyone at Carleton.  KEy interest for me is getting a coop position - absolutely vital for me.

As a slightly older applicant, my greatest concern is which  will be the best door opener  ( so to speak) to ensure I can get a job in Canada working in public policy/ int law/ canadian based role for international organizations.

Id very much like your advice/opinions.

I've been accepted to both programs as well, and will be accepting the offer to NPSIA. It's hard to say which is best - both programs are very well-regarded (though NPSIA has been around much longer and has a more prestigious reputation in the field). Both are in Ottawa and have good connections with the government for co-op opportunities, so I'm not really sure which is "best".

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but NPSIA could offer you some slightly better opportunities given its reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would caution you not to pick a school solely based on 'prestige.' But, if I were to be honest with you, I would probably take the program that is providing you with the more attractive funding package. I don't think that the difference between the two programs is such that it is worth taking on more debt - given that both schools are situated and have access to the co-op opportunities in Ottawa. Again, I don't think that there is a 'best' program per se, but both GSPIA and NPSIA will provide you with opportunities in international affairs in the long-term.

Edited by BuBuOurs

• 1 year later...

I've been accepted to both programs as well, and will be accepting the offer to NPSIA. It's hard to say which is best - both programs are very well-regarded (though NPSIA has been around much longer and has a more prestigious reputation in the field). Both are in Ottawa and have good connections with the government for co-op opportunities, so I'm not really sure which is "best".

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but NPSIA could offer you some slightly better opportunities given its reputation.

Hey Archie1991, it seems like you have more experience in this filed. I got an offer from NPSIA today, not sure about funding. I also got an MGA offer from Munk school with $5000 scholarship. But the tuition at Munk is huge, It will be hard for my parents if I decide to attend the Munk. My question is does each program has different oriented approach? I want to learn more practical rather than theoretical. I want to find a job working in UN, IO, or NGOs after I graduate. In this case, which one is better? For the internship, do both of them mandatory? Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Archie1991, it seems like you have more experience in this filed. I got an offer from NPSIA today, not sure about funding. I also got an MGA offer from Munk school with $5000 scholarship. But the tuition at Munk is huge, It will be hard for my parents if I decide to attend the Munk. My question is does each program has different oriented approach? I want to learn more practical rather than theoretical. I want to find a job working in UN, IO, or NGOs after I graduate. In this case, which one is better? For the internship, do both of them mandatory? Thank you so much!

Hey sunflower89, sorry that I just saw this now! Yeah, my biggest issue with Munk was the cost as well. I can't speak to much about Munk, but I can say that NPSIA generally takes a practical, policy-based approach, though there certainly are courses that are somewhat more theoretical in nature. I would say that NPSIA is more geared to employment in the federal public service, but I think the skills are applicable to the UN/IO/NGO field as well, plus there are lots of opportunities to intern or volunteer with such organizations in Ottawa. In my experience, Munk is more focused on the private sector, international business, etc., but I don't think it would hurt you, though I give NPSIA the edge I think. 

I'm not sure how Munk structures their internships, but NPSIA has a co-op program that lasts two terms. It is not mandatory, but in my experience almost all students apply for co-ops (unfortunately, securing a placement is not guaranteed)

Unless  you want to work in the foreign service or other government department, I would not choose NPSIA. Their program seems to be a revolving door for the federal public service, which is great, if that's what you're looking for.