Applied Linguistics (MA) Outcomes

MSalemka

Hi everyone, I'm a frequent lurker, first time poster...

I've just been accepted to Columbia's Applied Linguistics Master's with a good scholarship. I'm thrilled, but I've got some reservations, namely with what I'll be able to do with the degree on the other side that I can't do now (I've got my CELTA and 4 years' teaching experience and lots of contacts outside the states). So my question is - what do people do with ApLing degrees, what do you hope to do if you're applying or currently enrolled in a program, and what do you do if you've graduated with a degree like this?

When I applied, I was in a very different financial situation from now and I'm just worried that I'm going to invest in this expensive program and uproot my life (again. I just moved back from 4 years abroad.) and not be able to get any sort of "real job" to show for it after all the effort. I'm sure this is a negative way of looking at things so please! Thrill me with the possibilities! 

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean what people do with MA's while working on them, OR how people use their MA to further their language-education career after graduation?

In the case of the former, although language education is a big part of Applied Ling, depending on faculty research, you could go into SLA/FLA research, contrastive linguistics/translation, etc. Check Columbia's faculty and past student work.

If for the second, well I guess career-wise it'll depend on the focus you did in the MA years. It looks like your into teaching so an MA would improve your awareness of how SLA works and give practicums on how to teach more effectively. It'll be a boost in your CV especially if you apply to non-English speaking countries because the most popular 'foreign' schools look primarily for people with degrees in TESL and Applied Ling.

There is also the ability to move into programatic leadership, if you're interested.  I know someone who took a job with ETS right after graduating with her MA in AL.  Most of my fellow grads this semester are either hoping for ELF, have secured higher paid positions overseas, are planning to work for IEPs, or are applying to PhDs (like me).  A few are planning to move into K-12 teaching.  

I feel like my MA was very much worth it, though I went in with an undergrad in AL and TEFL certification--and about 6 years of teaching experience.  The professional contacts alone are definitely worth it--plus the coursework was wonderful.  My program has a pedagogy focus, though, so I might feel different if it had a different focus.

ETA: Find out if your program is partnered with the Peace Corps.  Mine is and its a sweet deal if you go that route.  You do 1 year of coursework, teach for a year, and then they pay the full freight for you to finish.

ELF is also a sweet deal, but you need the MA do be considered.

Edited by armchairette