UT Knoville

Anyone apply to UT Knoxville? Anyone get in and if so have you heard anything about funding yet? Do you think you'll go or do you have other schools you'd rather attend? 

I was accepted and it was a total shock. I just applied for kicks (and it was a bit convenient since I was using CSDCAS to apply to another school anyway). Now I'm excited about it but nervous about getting funds to go. 

I'm in the same boat.  I applied because I really loved what I could find out about the program and the research they're involved in.  I went for a visit to the campus this weekend but didn't get a chance to tour the department as they're on spring break this next week.  The more I find out, the more I really really want to go there.  BUT, I just can't afford it without funding.  I'm getting very anxious to hear back on that subject!!

I was recently accepted here too. I am still in total shock! Everything I read about this program makes me more and more excited. I am from Nevada so don't know much, anything you guys would be willing to share would be awesome. I am visiting next month and am afraid that it's going to make me want to go there even more, I don't know if I can justify going there for what it costs!

I have two professors that got their master's and Ph.D's there. Dr. Beverly said that if I can get funding to go then I definately should, and she's one of my favorite teachers so I definately trust her judgement!

I just wish there was more money to go around for all of us who want to come in from out of state! I wonder if there's some way they could wave out of state tuition? I know some schools try to work that out for some out of state graduate students. 

It's been two weeks since we received acceptance notices - when is it normal to get funding information?  What's the protocol on asking if they've made their decisions yet?  Would it be frowned on to ask?

It's been two weeks since we received acceptance notices - when is it normal to get funding information?  What's the protocol on asking if they've made their decisions yet?  Would it be frowned on to ask?

I went to the accepted students day on the 14th. They didn't have that decided yet. It sounds like we can expect to hear next week. They are currently on spring break.

I went to the accepted students day on the 14th. They didn't have that decided yet. It sounds like we can expect to hear next week. They are currently on spring break.

Thanks so much for the info!  Anything else you can share from your visit?

It was a good visit. I was just frustrated that they seemed disorganized with the information about scholarships. Also, one of the professors showed up like a half hour late- that was a little annoying. However, the program seemed really exciting because they are building a beautiful new speech pathology building close to the medical center. They also said that they'll get you assistantships basically anywhere you want in the whole country, which was awesome! I also was super impressed with Knoxville. It's a very quiet city but it was really beautiful, and the restaurants were great! 

Did they give any indication when the new building is supposed to be completed?  It does look beautiful but I somehow doubt it would be finished in time for me to be able to enjoy it.

I really liked Knoxville, too.  Very pretty and a good size.  And I love the proximity to the Smoky Mountains!

Did they give any indication when the new building is supposed to be completed?  It does look beautiful but I somehow doubt it would be finished in time for me to be able to enjoy it.

I really liked Knoxville, too.  Very pretty and a good size.  And I love the proximity to the Smoky Mountains!

It sounded like it would be finished by our second year.

Has anyone received any word about funding yet? I know we were supposed to hear this week 

Tennessee is one of the only states that you can get residency without having lived there a year! You would of course have to change your license, license tag, and other things, but it doesn't take as long as many states, so if you got on the ball you might be able to qualify for in-state tuition after the first semester, year, if it was worth it. UT-Knox is an incredible school, I was accepted for undergrad and didn't get to go because of the tuition, but if you can work it out to go, DO IT! Anyways, just an idea. It may have changed but i've had friends who got residency pretty quickly in Tennessee, in comparison to other states. 

http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/dlproof.shtml 

Congrats! Wish I could've gone to UT! Go VOLS! ;) And if you have any free time, definitely go to a football game if you can, their stadium is incredible. Such a cool atmosphere. 

I actually inquired about gaining in-state residency and I was informed that it is NOT a possibility, which is very unfortunate. I have not heard anything about funding yet either, without financial help it's just not a possibility for me.

It sounded like it would be finished by our second year.

Has anyone received any word about funding yet? I know we were supposed to hear this week 

No, still haven't heard anything.  Should hopefully know by the end of the week, I'd guess.  It's going to be a long week waiting for word on this!

Just called the office to check and see when they were planning on notifying everyone about scholarships and funding. The receptionist said that the comittee has met and that we should be notified of anything within the week. I know I haven't heard anything yet, wasn't sure if any of you had. 

So, is that by the end of this week or just by next Wednesday?

Also, do we think this will possibly include out-of-state tuition waivers as well?  I'm curious what their criteria for granting those is and how many they might offer.  I would LOVE to go here but can't make it work without some help.

Received the following email from Tennessee today:

The scholarship committee met this week and the department chair offered financial awards to selected applicants.  Keep in mind this process takes time, as some applicants may decide to “pass” on an offer at which point the offer would be extended to another deserving applicant.  In addition, some applicants are eligible for Academic Common Market which is a program that enables out-of-state students to receive reduced tuition if the program of study isn't offered in their home state.  In the past, students from states such as South Carolina, Georgia, and Vermont (to name a few) have taken advantage of this program.  See the link below for details.

I hope this is helpful and have a great day.

http://www.sreb.org/page/1304/academic_common_market.html

Received the following email from Tennessee today:

The scholarship committee met this week and the department chair offered financial awards to selected applicants.  Keep in mind this process takes time, as some applicants may decide to “pass” on an offer at which point the offer would be extended to another deserving applicant.  In addition, some applicants are eligible for Academic Common Market which is a program that enables out-of-state students to receive reduced tuition if the program of study isn't offered in their home state.  In the past, students from states such as South Carolina, Georgia, and Vermont (to name a few) have taken advantage of this program.  See the link below for details.

I hope this is helpful and have a great day.

http://www.sreb.org/page/1304/academic_common_market.html

I got this email as well. Does that mean we were not selected for scholarship money?