Berkeley vs UW, need some help!!

spetznetz

I'm trying to make decision btwn the above two, Berkeley and Univ.Washington, both as Ms/PhD in Computer Science.

My interest lies over pretty broad ranges, including mchine learning, AI(but not too theoretical), HCI, and distributed system.

I know that I'm not much interested in algorithm, architecture, OS, programming language.

-what matters to me : advisor(I prefer hands-on type), topic that really interests me!, human network

-what matters to be a bit : school reputation

-what doesn't matter : weather(I like the weather in Seattle), fund(both offers enough guaranteed 3+ yrs)

now I have 6~7 hours to accept/decline but still can't really make up my mind.

If assumed that you don't have specific professor in mind, what will be your choice?

I guess when I made my decision between BU and Cornell, I just choose the place I felt more comfortable at during the grad weekends. Also, the potential classmates I met at one place were much cooler than the others.

Assuming advisers of equal quality, and funding of equal quality, and you don't have a burning desire to go to anyone school cuz of ranking or names, fall back on comfort.

I'm in English so I can't speak specifically to Computer Science. However, I live in Seattle and love it here (I will unfortunately I have to move for school in the fall).

I would say that if you were interested in OS and programming (which you're not), then UW would make more sense, especially if you were interested in potential work with Microsoft or Amazon in the area or working with them for your graduate projects. If you're more concerned about getting a job in academia, I would go with Berkeley, personally.

If location or climate mattered a lot to you (which you say it doesn't), I would probably lean towards Seattle, but I don't think Berkeley would be a bad place to live at all.

Good luck! I wish my last-minute decision was between equally wonderful prospects!

Oh, definitely Berkeley.

Ditto.

Although you didn't really give much information comparing the two schools, and I'm not really familiar with your field..... Regardless, I don't think you can ever go wrong with Berk, no matter what your area.

Even being familiar with your field, I'd still say Berkeley! UW is good, but the first letter of BSD is B for a reason.

I'm not sure you'll really like the weather in Seattle more than you would the weather in Berkeley... unless you'd like to get more snow or something?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use