subject test question for biophysics field...

bsharpe269

Would the GRE subject test in mathematics or biochem be more helpful for my application for biophysics phd programs? Since the field is interdisciplinary, many schools request a subject test but say that it can be in bio, biochem, physics, chem, or math.

My undergrad degree is in math and masters is in bioinformatics. I have all of the courses needed for both tests but the math may be a bit more difficult for me since I haven’t looked at the material for a few years while the biochem has been taken recently. My masters record, which is heavy in the biochem material, is fantastic, 4.0 gpa and I will get a LOR from my biochem teacher (who is in the same subfield as me for biophysics research). I have the top grade in the class and the teacher has come to me for advice in the class so this should be a very strong letter. My undergrad record on the other hand is average, my gpa was 3.3. and math gpa is around 3.0. Because this is the weaker spot in my application, I think the math subject test could correct a bit.

What do you guys think? Is it worth taking the extra time to take the math subject test instead of biochem? My undergrad grades should be the only weak part of my application since I will tons of research experience directly related to what I want to do for phd.

I'd say take the one most related to what field you want to study for PhD. Since you're in a master's and have lots of research, your undergrad grades become less important, especially since they're in a  tangentially related field.

If you feel you can ace the biochem, I say take it!

Thanks! Since the field is such a mix of topics, i'd say they are probably equally related or biochem is only slightly more related. I do feel that I can do better on that one with less studying (meaning I can put that time into more research).

Thanks! Since the field is such a mix of topics, i'd say they are probably equally related or biochem is only slightly more related. I do feel that I can do better on that one with less studying (meaning I can put that time into more research).

If there's no clear cut winner in topic, like you said, go for the one with the best ROI. No need to waste time on a test that you might not do well on if it's not worth more weight than a subject you would almost certainly do well in. :)