Delaware 2009 anybody going or living there?

hotlatte

As a native of the tiny first state, I would be happy to answer any and all questions about Newark. The only thing I know about the actual school, though, is what the campus looks like/that some of the buildings are easy to get into, but difficult to escape from.

I'll be going there in the fall, and had a chance to visit the school last month. I'm originally from a small town so I liked Newark. Also, the proximity to Philly, NYC, Bmore, DC, etc. cannot be beat. The campus reminded me of my own undergrad school, ie all the buildings look similar (Georgian architecture), but taken as a whole, the campus is very pretty. Also, from my own searching, rents for apartments seem pretty reasonable for the region, and are definitely much cheaper than the DC (Northern VA or southern Maryland) area, or the New York area.

Hi all,

I'm currently a first-year graduate student at UD and can answer any questions.

As previous posters mentioned, Newark is very small (and rather unattractive - but the campus is not), but close to other major metropolitan areas - you get the benefits of the cities for day trips and research, without the same amount of congestion. I've had a very positive experience at UD. The faculty and my colleagues are friendly and helpful, and the president is committed to making the school a better place for graduate studies.

Thanks katreese. I saw your post at the city guide as well. Now I'm still waiting for the I-20 from UD to apply for the visa. I heard that DE doesn't put a tax on commodities. What should I bring and what should I buy there?

Thanks katreese. I saw your post at the city guide as well. Now I'm still waiting for the I-20 from UD to apply for the visa. I heard that DE doesn't put a tax on commodities. What should I bring and what should I buy there?

I think that would depend on how much room you have in your luggage. You can buy anything here, although it becomes more difficult if you don't have access to a car, due to the fact that there are very few stores in Newark, and the difficulty in carrying stuff. If you are purchasing sheets, towels, blankets, kitchenware etc your only on-campus option is a K-Mart (which is not that nice, but is on the bus line). There is a Wal-Mart about 15 minutes away (by car) and other stores are 30 minutes away.

Did you have more specific questions? Perhaps tell me where you are coming from and what your concerns are. It will be very hot when you get here, so you won't have to worry about buying a coat right away.

Hello fellow Fightin' Blue Hens (that is the name, right?)!

I just made my decision official to go to UD for PhD work and am very excited for the opportunity. I got the chance to visit the school last month and found the campus to be aesthetically attractive and inviting. The faculty and staff also seemed legitimately interested in the students and interested in pushing their graduate programs to new heights.

One thing I have been wondering is regarding parking. I heard that parking passes are rather expensive (I was told $300), and that many students choose to bike or walk if they live close enough as opposed to getting a parking pass. I am going to be living close enough to bike it easily (3 miles from the hall I will be working at, within Newark), so I definitely want to do this while it is nice out. My question is regarding inclement weather conditions and, more specifically, winter. Do people just deal with the weather in rain, snow, freezing cold and bike it during the winter months? I understand there is also a free shuttle bus from UD, but unfortunately my apartment complex is not on the route (Home Properties of Newark). They say the DART busline goes past, and it seems that is my only other option for days when it is too miserable weather to bike ride.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how easy/difficult they think it would be to go without a parking pass and utilize other forms of transportation (also, is it even cost effective? I know DART isn't free, so at some point I assume I will end up spending as much money on public transportation as I would on a parking pass).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can't speak on the bike issue, but I can tell you about the weather! I moved from a much colder climate, so DE seems balmy to me. We got next to no snow - a few dustings, and one 3". I actually find the spring much rainier than the winter. If you don't mind biking in rain and cold-ish temps (mid-20s at worst, and a rarity), you should be all set - snow is not an issue.

In terms of cost, I would look closely at the bus schedule - they don't run at all on Sundays, so if you came to campus on Sundays, you might have to pay for parking. Supposedly street parking is free, but there are many streets around here that are no parking at all. City parking garages are $2/hour.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be doing a Ph.D. in mathematics beginning in the fall '09. I'm looking for international students who were assigned TA positions and who are subject to the summer orientation program at the Institute of English Language which will begin on July, 15.

I'd especially like to meet those admitted to the Ph.D. program in mathematics...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone again

Is there anybody looking for an apartment right now? As for my first stay at UD, I'd like to live on campus but still haven't applied for it. Still, I've tried to search for some apartments around the campus but really have no ideas of where to live. Do you have any suggestions on apartment or room renting? To me sharing a 2-bedroom apartment is okay. But I'm a bit worried about renting a room in a house as I've been living alone for a long time. What areas are unsafe to live?

I will arrive in Newark by early August as my visa doesn't allow me to enter the States before that. So what is the chance for me to get a place to live with an affordable price (around $500-600)? By the way, is there anyone looking for a roommate?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use