Northwestern MSE master program

Arlindaleung

I was told that this program is a course-only program. So dose anyone know about this program?

Is it possible for me to transfer to PhD program after one year course studying? Since I major in Physics in my undergraduate, I think it's better for me to take a MS degree in the NU and then pursue a PhD degree. But I don't know that this program is non-thesis. Dose it mean the degree I get is not a Master of Science degree? Thank you.

I don't know the specific details about NU's MSE program (got my B.S. there) but generally a thesis option prepares you for a PhD program better than a non-thesis option. Aren't you able to choose what track you want to take at NU, or are you specifically admitted to the non-thesis (coursework only) program? I know for a fact that NU offers a thesis option for the MS, but I'm not sure how their admissions work.

I got into Northwestern's Mat Sci doctoral program and I am a physics major, so its possible. There were actually a number of physics majors at the visit weekend I went to. As for NU's masters program, I don't know much, but the website mentions a thesis and non-thesis masters degree options, but in the FAQS is also mentions the masters is not necessary for the Ph.D. :

Q: I would like to eventually get a Ph.D., but I might want to get a Master's degree first. Should I apply to the MS program or the PhD program?

A: In this situation you should indicate your preference for the PhD program. The MS program refers to students who are interested only in that degree. The MS degree is not required for the PhD in Materials Science and Engineering.

Also, the website says there is no financial aid for masters students, which is something to consider.