What will you do before moving on?

Ulixes

Lots of dreams are being crushed; lots of hopes are being dashed, so let's have a lighter thread!

Whenver you leave your current school (or town, for those who aren't currently in school) for the next, what will you do?

Personally, aside from the normal boring stuff, I'm going to finally eat in one of the campus dining halls; then, I'm going to have a nice, big cigar on the quad (we're a smoke-free campus, and the enforcers are all huge assholes about it).

I'm going down to my favorite pub in Austin (The Black Sheep Lodge) for one of their fantastic burgers and I few pints of the 512 Pecan Porter (a local brew that isn't really available outside of the Austin area, save a few places in Dallas, and one of my all-time favorite beers). Then I'll go down to the Elephant Room (my favorite local jazz club) for some great music and a couple glasses of Basil Hayden's. It'll be a good night.

dgswaim, has Wyoming offered to host (and fund) you for a visit? Had a friend at my MA institution (he was there for PhD.) who got his MA at U of Wyoming in early 2000s. He had nothing but awesome things to say about the program. I've heard it has a sneaky, under-the-radar reputation among some solid PhD. programs as being an excellent place to do MA work, and a place that really prepares their students well for doctoral work. I wish I had applied back when I was applying to MA programs. Anyways, just my two cents. 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

dgswaim, has Wyoming offered to host (and fund) you for a visit? Had a friend at my MA institution (he was there for PhD.) who got his MA at U of Wyoming in early 2000s. He had nothing but awesome things to say about the program. I've heard it has a sneaky, under-the-radar reputation among some solid PhD. programs as being an excellent place to do MA work, and a place that really prepares their students well for doctoral work. I wish I had applied back when I was applying to MA programs. Anyways, just my two cents. 

I'm going up there with my wife and dogs on a road trip next week. Should be fun.

512 Pecan Porter (a local brew that isn't really available outside of the Austin area, save a few places in Dallas, and one of my all-time favorite beers). Then I'll go down to the Elephant Room (my favorite local jazz club) for some great music and a couple glasses of Basil Hayden's. It'll be a good night.

Nut/drupe/whatever beers need to happen more often. There's an excellent wild black walnut beer where I'm at, and I absolutely love what nuts/drups/whatever give to the beer.

Have to say, though, that I definitely prefer whisky to whiskey; Islay scotch, fo' shurity.

Nut/drupe/whatever beers need to happen more often. There's an excellent wild black walnut beer where I'm at, and I absolutely love what nuts/drups/whatever give to the beer.

Have to say, though, that I definitely prefer whisky to whiskey; Islay scotch, fo' shurity.

I go back and forth between scotch and bourbon. lately bourbon has been the winner. In a couple of months I'll be hooked on the Talisker again and my pockets will be drying up all over again.

I go back and forth between scotch and bourbon. lately bourbon has been the winner. In a couple of months I'll be hooked on the Talisker again and my pockets will be drying up all over again.

Googled it and it sounds fairly peaty! That's the only way to go; I need to taste the beef jerky and funky socks to appreciate it. You weren't telling tall tales about your pockets drying up; a 10 year is pretty pricey.

Googled it and it sounds fairly peaty! That's the only way to go; I need to taste the beef jerky and funky socks to appreciate it. You weren't telling tall tales about your pockets drying up; a 10 year is pretty pricey.

When I start running out of money I often switch to the Laphroaig. Or I might switch to a lighter highland malt like Glenmorangie, or something. I prefer Islays and the like, but I do enjoy a nice, well-rounded highland malt as well. I just like to drink...