Funny admission stories?

washdc

Just for laughs- but I was wondering if anyone else did anything that was awkward, or laughable, or FML worthy.

As for me-

I was talking on the phone with my boyfriend when he told me he'd call me right back. As soon as I hung up my phone rang a minute later and absent mindedly, instead of checking to see who was calling I immediately answered "I love you baby!"- except it wasn't my boyfriend. It was the Director of Admissions to a school I had been wait listed for. And a woman at that- all I could think of to say in response was that I am very enthusiastic about their school. :D

(and luckily she offered me admission.. so it worked out in the end) :)

Well, when MIT called to offer me admissions, I a) shout unintelligibly B) stuttered for a few minutes about my disbelief c) told the DGS she might want to have my phone number to keep in touch while I was visiting in the states, then realized I was talking to her on the phone at that time (so obviously she had the number), then when she laughed I said something like "Oh, never mind" d) she asked me if I had any questions. This was the night before my flight left for the States and I had everything packed, including my list of questions to ask. I told her "no, because I already packed my question list. e) after she laughed again I just said I'll write if anything comes to mind later. I was embarrassed for days, but when I visited she said my reaction was actually very typical :roll: .

I had just finished a very serious conversation with my husband about the relative merits of schools A and B when he stepped in the shower to get ready for the Big Decision Talk Dinner. While he was in there, school C called and offered me admission. Telling him that I had managed to get and reject another offer while he was towelling down was very fun.

I thought about jumping off the front porch when I saw the UVM letter at my mail box. More-better was the fact I called my boss while in a state of shock and he had me recite, "I have been accepted to the University of Vermont!" five times. All while he was cackling. It amused me.

i inadvertantly told an adcom [who was so young nearly EVERYONE thought was a prospective student... not even a current undergrad]...

...that i was a stripper.

...'nuff said...

[i later did get the offer after all]

i inadvertantly told an adcom [who was so young nearly EVERYONE thought was a prospective student... not even a current undergrad]...

...'nuff said...

Wait, so are you really a stripper?

...'nuff said...

A stripper (really?) who's got into a genetics PhD program.. hmm, a perfect date? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy one out there. Dont' really have a funny admission story, just babbled on and on and on and on like an idiot when I went to visit the schools I was accepted to.

The problem with babbling was that it got too personal, like, knowing in the back of my mind I wanted to see what some prosepective advisors' reaction would be when I told them that I was bringing my partner with me, so it just turned into something like,

"um, so this is something I was wondering if I should bring up, but um I have a partner, and he'll come."

answer.

"um. ok. sure."

silence.

"so, I'm deciding between This School and Other School"

answer

"that's not really something that I'm supposed to know."

silence.

The pattern continued and continued......

I'm glad I was already accepted and there was no way they could have taken it back (ended up accepting the offer too)

Mine is probably more tragic or ironic or something, but here goes...

It was May 14th at about midnight, so I had to decide by the next day, and I had finally decided to stop waiting on school A to give me aid (a long shot) so I decided to go to B and sleep on it. In the morning, I felt good, so I sent in my acceptance. Within an hour of that, the prof that I wanted to work with from school A called me (yeah I was surprised too) and basically said he could get me some money, and the conversation that ensued was more than just a bit awkward. It ended well, though, because he said that after I finish my Masters at B, if I want a change of scenery he would be happy to take me on as a funded PhD back at A.

Mine is probably more tragic or ironic or something, but here goes...

It was May 14th at about midnight, so I had to decide by the next day, and I had finally decided to stop waiting on school A to give me aid (a long shot) so I decided to go to B and sleep on it. In the morning, I felt good, so I sent in my acceptance. Within an hour of that, the prof that I wanted to work with from school A called me (yeah I was surprised too) and basically said he could get me some money, and the conversation that ensued was more than just a bit awkward. It ended well, though, because he said that after I finish my Masters at B, if I want a change of scenery he would be happy to take me on as a funded PhD back at A.

Doesn't that just burn you up? The same thing happened to me this season.

It sort of does, but at the same time, I am happy with my choice. It had been down to those two for a while, and quite honestly, I would have been happy at either. I am just glad it worked out such that if I want to switch in 2 years, I have basically a free ticket to do so.

"so, I'm deciding between This School and Other School"

answer

"that's not really something that I'm supposed to know."

silence.

Wait, that's not something that should be said? Hrm.... oops. :oops: Meh, like you said, they had already extended the offer and couldn't take it back!

See, when I went, most of the people flat out asked what other schools I was considering.

I thought too, that talking about the schools you were accepted to was ok, especially after reading about everyone's experience.

Well whatever!! My prof has the whole nice looooong summer to forget how much of a babbling idiot I was :D