Buffalo State

Really excited to receive an acceptance from Buffalo State (not to be confused with SUNY Buffalo - or UB) today! Anyone else apply there, and/or have a chance to visit the campus? Living all the way on Long Island, I applied sight unseen for the locale, high ranking, and in-state tuition. Just curious if anyone else has more info they'd like to share.

Thanks!

TheRealMSol,

I applied to Buff State. I actually work nearby but have not yet been there. Buff State isn't a school you see much on here. Are you considering accepting the offer?

Very much so, since it's so highly ranked among the schools I applied to, plus the benefit of in-state tuition. I also like the idea that I might be able to see a couple of Ranger games when they play the Sabres, and maybe the Jets when they come up for the Bills game. Having Niagara Falls so close by is nice too. Plus, I went to Syracuse for 4 years, so I think I can handle the winters.

The sports culture here is great! Obviously it's the last school I'm waiting to hear from, so I'm desperate for it to be an acceptance. I'll just have to be patient... But good luck with your decision!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! It would be great to kinda "know" someone before getting up there. 

As for places to live, I've heard good things about Elmwood Village. Where would you recommend or not recommend looking for a place? I'm looking for someplace that isn't overcrowded but still a busy and walkable neighborhood, and most importantly safe. On the other hand, what are some nice suburbs outside of Buffalo that would make for an easy commute? Just looking for a good starting point! Thanks!!!

Yea Elmwood village is a good area, it is expensive though. The shops and restaurants around there are very "walkable". Some of the areas around Buff State are a little dicey so I would caution being careful especially at night. As for suburbs, a car is a must, but they are all pretty good areas. If you don't have a car, the suburbs are kinda hard to get around from. Some of the suburbs are going to be more expensive but not all of them. Let me know if there is a particular area you are considering and I could be more specific.

As far as suburbs, I was looking at like Depew or Amherst. I'll definitely have a car, so what's the rush hour traffic situation like, and are there any areas where it's hard to find parking? Which neighborhoods would say to avoid from a safety perspective?

Depew is nice, I live there and like it. Inexpensive and safe. Amherst is great just more expensive. Traffic is not bad at all!! Especially if you are from a bigger city, commute times in buffalo are very small by comparison. It's hard to find parking downtown but I never really go downtown except for hockey and lacrosse games. From a safety perspective there are various areas in the city of buffalo that I try to avoid, but they are scattered.

Hi,

I'm the mom of students attending Buffalo State College.  We live in North Buffalo, a few miles away from the college.  I find it to be convenient, pretty safe, and affordable.  On a bus route if a car is unavailable.  Depending on number of roommates, kids are paying between $200 and $400 for rent.  It's best to try to find something in May when kids are moving out.  I find Depew and Amherst to be a little far if you have a choice.  Depew is a suburb, but not one that a lot of people I know who choose to live in the city would want to live in.  Amherst is nice but costly, especially since students from UB (University at Buffalo) are closer to Amherst.  They pay a lot for some pretty shabby places where the neighborhoods have turned to all rental.  Elmwood Village - has some really nice homes, mansions and has some doubles and other rental units.  So, you will find out owner occupied homes and people care about the neighborhood.  Most younger people who come here - if they live in another area - end up wanting to live off of Elmwood.  If you can find a place off of Elmwood Avenue, some blocks away from Buffalo State you should be able to find nice, affordable living.  The homes are older.  Or in North Buffalo, like off of Hertel Avenue is good too.  When the weather gets bad (like this winter) it makes a difference living closer.  Elmwood Village, just so you know, is the neighborhood that Buffalo State is in.  Very close to college - some may say is "dicey", but a few blocks more and it's pretty nice.  Hope this helps

Hey again, I'm duffs all the way haha. I know many who disagree though.

I agree with the above poster that the Hertel area is another good area to live if you like to be in city limits. As far as commute times, it takes me under 20 minutes, but I come from a bigger city so a 20 minute commute time is nothing for me. And I know many people who live in the Elmwood area and pay a lot more so I guess it depends what you find. I like having woods in my backyard and don't mind the commute.

Have you had a chance to visit the area? If not you should consider looking around before making your decision on schools.

Hi,

I'm the mom of students attending Buffalo State College.  We live in North Buffalo, a few miles away from the college.  I find it to be convenient, pretty safe, and affordable.  On a bus route if a car is unavailable.  Depending on number of roommates, kids are paying between $200 and $400 for rent.  It's best to try to find something in May when kids are moving out.  I find Depew and Amherst to be a little far if you have a choice.  Depew is a suburb, but not one that a lot of people I know who choose to live in the city would want to live in.  Amherst is nice but costly, especially since students from UB (University at Buffalo) are closer to Amherst.  They pay a lot for some pretty shabby places where the neighborhoods have turned to all rental.  Elmwood Village - has some really nice homes, mansions and has some doubles and other rental units.  So, you will find out owner occupied homes and people care about the neighborhood.  Most younger people who come here - if they live in another area - end up wanting to live off of Elmwood.  If you can find a place off of Elmwood Avenue, some blocks away from Buffalo State you should be able to find nice, affordable living.  The homes are older.  Or in North Buffalo, like off of Hertel Avenue is good too.  When the weather gets bad (like this winter) it makes a difference living closer.  Elmwood Village, just so you know, is the neighborhood that Buffalo State is in.  Very close to college - some may say is "dicey", but a few blocks more and it's pretty nice.  Hope this helps

Thank you! This is great - so helpful!

Hey again, I'm duffs all the way haha. I know many who disagree though.

I agree with the above poster that the Hertel area is another good area to live if you like to be in city limits. As far as commute times, it takes me under 20 minutes, but I come from a bigger city so a 20 minute commute time is nothing for me. And I know many people who live in the Elmwood area and pay a lot more so I guess it depends what you find. I like having woods in my backyard and don't mind the commute.

Have you had a chance to visit the area? If not you should consider looking around before making your decision on schools.

I've been to Buffalo a few times before, and it seems really nice for the most part. I've been to Duff's. so at least I know I'm in good company!