For Canadians in Statistics: Which is better, UBC or UofT?

Fantim

Hi everyone!

I completed my undergraduate degree in statistics at McGill, and was accepted to both the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto for a masters in statistics. My goal is to later complete a PhD in a top US school. 

I was wondering which offer I should accept. I know both programs are well ranked, but I wanted to get your insight before making a decision. 

Both offers come with TA/RA ships and good funding, and the UBC program lasts 2 years while the UofT master's is only 1 year. 

I'm sure many future grad students are hesitating between the two schools as well, so any info regarding these two unis is more than welcome. 

Thank you for all your help!

Fantim, for what it's worth, I'm also in the same boat as you. I've been accepted to both of those schools, as well as a couple others, and I'm trying to pick a path that will provide the most opportunity for PhD studies afterwards.

ParanoidAndroid is right, UBC has a thesis option, which offers you the opportunity to do some research and perhaps even publish. On the other hand, UofT only has the 8 month course-based program, but boasts a large stats department with some really reputable faculty. Also, you can do a project course at UofT, but to me this just isn't the same as having a whole extra summer and school year to do RA work and write a thesis. As for funding, after subtracting tuition fees from UBC's offer, I found that my offer from UofT was slightly better.

Even with this information, I'm still terribly undecided. Hopefully someone else will have some new insight!