Does it matter if you work on someone's campaign who won't win?

RedPill

I'm considering serving as a Director of Policy of a local election, and I'm very skeptical. Although, the candidate has a record and is experienced, I just think it's too late in the game to make a come back. 

There's lots I can learn, but will future campaigns/internships/graduate programs/employers consider whether the candidate was elected? This is a very local election in a pretty ruralish town of 100k.

Hey.

I was on-staff for the Obama campaign in 2012, in North Carolina. As you know (or have looked up), the President lost the state by 3 points. I worked from January until November, so my experience ran the whole gamut.

Unless the whole thing blows up in your hands as a result of your own incompetence, it doesn't matter wether the candidate wins or loses. If you run your office well, you can use that experience to slingshot you into a number of positions. There are certainly some limitations (once you work for a party, you're blacklisted from working with the other), but the experience is applicable to a lot of different areas. Most everyone I worked with in NC has gone on to graduate school, or found a job in public policy, or remains on the political circuit. So just go for it.

Yeah, the choosing sides thing is stupid, but it isn't a big deal if you aren't planning to play the politics game forever. Go in and get your experience, and walk out as a great candidate.