Didn't Get In - Plan B: Teach??

lifetimestudent

So I didn't get into the programs I applied to... bummer. Since I found out, I'm now working on my Plan B, which is to get a job to support myself while I get ready to re-apply for next year. However I do have an MA in my field, and would like to do something that really makes me a stronger candidate. I was speaking with someone who suggested that I could teach as an adjunct at a community college with an MA. It would be perfect, because I could get real experience and also work in my field, even if it's only part time. Does anyone have any experience trying to get a job as an adjunct lecturer with an MA? Is it possible, or is it just a pipe dream?

I'm sorry the apps. didn't work out for you this year, but this seems like a very good plan. I've actually heard that a lot more students are going to community colleges this year too, due to financial uncertainty, so that may be a good place to be looking for a job. Can't hurt to apply anyway. I've been teaching with an MA for a few years now and I think the experience has been really good for me. I teach a (very local) language at my university and also taught my subject to graduate students at a university abroad. I'm not sure if that is an option for you, but you might want to look into it if local places don't work out.

yep, often you only get confirmation in August, sometimes only a week before classes start, once the departments know which sections are actually going to be taught, # of students enrolled, which (if any) profs have teaching releases, etc. Of course you never know, you might get hired with a different kind of appointment that has more security and advance warning on what you might be teaching - I haven't taught at a CC so I'm not totally sure how it works there. Either way, be prepared for a lot of prep in a short amount of time. There are also summer session classes starting that you might want to look into...