Temple PhD details?

Has anyone out there received any specific funding info from Temple, or about the teaching load for fellowships? Has anyone heard whether or not they ever let acceptances go unfunded? So many questions, so little time to make decisions!

I randomly checked the website a few days ago and found out that I was accepted, but I haven't heard anything from the department yet (not even a standard admission email). I remember reading somewhere (I think it was a gradcafe forum that a google search sent me to) that Temple tends to admit more people than it can fund (which makes me nervous...), but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I really want to email the department because like you said, there's so little time to make decisions! 

I was admitted to Temple on March 5th and have heard nothing about funding.  First I was told that I would hear "next week" (from March 5th) about funding.  Then when that week came, I was told I would hear "next week."  I still have heard nothing.

Given how Temple is about funding, I kinda doubt I will get funding.  If it's true they admit a bunch of people but fund very few, I just don't think I will be one of those few.

Hence, no Ph.D. program for me this fall, as both my acceptances seem to be unfunded.

It's kind of a shame, because I had already bragged to a bunch of people that I got into two Ph.D. programs, and many of them are like "so you're moving soon, huh?"  They're giving me all kinds of praise.  They will all be let down when I go absolutely nowhere this fall.  Oh well.  That's life.  

That said, I am pleased to have gotten into Temple.  If I wereable to go, I think I'd love it there.  The school's culture seems like exactly what i want.  But getting an unfunded offer is kind of like them saying "we don't want you that badly."  (at least that's what I hear).

Edited by purpleperson

I was admitted to Temple on March 5th and have heard nothing about funding.  First I was told that I would hear "next week" (from March 5th) about funding.  Then when that week came, I was told I would hear "next week."  I still have heard nothing.

Given how Temple is about funding, I kinda doubt I will get funding.  If it's true they admit a bunch of people but fund very few, I just don't think I will be one of those few.

Hence, no Ph.D. program for me this fall, as both my acceptances seem to be unfunded.

It's kind of a shame, because I had already bragged to a bunch of people that I got into two Ph.D. programs, and many of them are like "so you're moving soon, huh?"  They're giving me all kinds of praise.  They will all be let down when I go absolutely nowhere this fall.  Oh well.  That's life.  

I just emailed someone from the department that I had previously emailed to clarify something about Interfolio back in December, so I'm hoping I'll receive some type of solid information. If I do, I'll let you know. But it is SO frustrating that they've been telling you you'd hear for weeks and haven't actually given you an answer yet, which doesn't give me a lot of hope that I'll get much more information than you did. 

And I'm really sorry to hear about the lack of funding  :(

This is my second year applying, and last year all of my acceptances were unfunded and I wasn't able to go, which was such a terrible feeling. I really hope Temple or your other program comes through for you.

I got a response from the person I emailed at Temple, and he told me that they actually do not have enough funding for all of the people they admit  :( He told me I was an alternate for a TAship, which I guess is basically a funding wait list, so I won't know anything for sure for a couple of weeks. Also, he said that other info about the program (like how to register and whatnot) will come later on if I were to attend.  

I got a response from the person I emailed at Temple, and he told me that they actually do not have enough funding for all of the people they admit  :( He told me I was an alternate for a TAship, which I guess is basically a funding wait list, so I won't know anything for sure for a couple of weeks. Also, he said that other info about the program (like how to register and whatnot) will come later on if I were to attend.  

I got the same thing.  I am an alternate for a TA-ship.  He said it would be a few weeks before they know who gets offered what.  I guess it's possible I'd get offered something, but I kinda doubt it.  I'm not holding my breath.  I remember when I got a TA-ship offer in my M.A. program, I wasn't told until July.  Mid-July.  That was okay at the time, because I already lived in the city where I would be going to school.  But I don't know if I could gear up for a move across the country on one month's notice.  I guess it's do-able, but I wouldn't relish it. And I might feel so resentful of super-late notice that I ask to defer for a year or something. I don't know.  I actually am not counting on any kind of TA-ship offer anyway, so it probably won't matter.

I got the same thing.  I am an alternate for a TA-ship.  He said it would be a few weeks before they know who gets offered what.  I guess it's possible I'd get offered something, but I kinda doubt it.  I'm not holding my breath.  I remember when I got a TA-ship offer in my M.A. program, I wasn't told until July.  Mid-July.  That was okay at the time, because I already lived in the city where I would be going to school.  But I don't know if I could gear up for a move across the country on one month's notice.  I guess it's do-able, but I wouldn't relish it. And I might feel so resentful of super-late notice that I ask to defer for a year or something. I don't know.  I actually am not counting on any kind of TA-ship offer anyway, so it probably won't matter.

Yeah, I feel the same. The email didn't seem overwhelmingly positive, so I'm not too hopeful. Plus, the email said funding packages are only guaranteed for four years, not the full five (I only have my BA, so that makes me nervous). I kind of wish there was an organized prospective students day or something, just so I could have met with the department before having to make a decision in case funding were to come through at the last minute or something. 

Oh man, mid-July is SO late though. That would have stressed me out so much, at least you already lived in the same city...that makes it a bit easier. And yeah, I'm not a fan of super late notice either. I guess some departments can't help it, but it makes the decision making process so much more stressful. 

I'm also an alternate for a TAship. Temple definitely takes unfunded students and it seems that they don't have the best reputation in terms of funding availability. Personally, I don't think PhD programs should admit students unless they can offer funding. That said, I'm still highly considering their program because there is a faculty member who I really, really want to work with. I heard that they're looking to take in a class of about 12 (which includes MA and PhD students, both funded and unfunded).

It seems like everyone on these boards received the same details about being an alternate for a TA position. Is there anyone who was offer funding and plans on accepting or turning it down? Anyone on here who is seriously considering Temple like me or are people thinking of just themselves off of the wait list for funding because they have better options and don't feel like waiting until later April (I heard we might not hear until after the 15th, if at all, but we could hear sooner)? I'm so frustrated and stressed about this-- luckily I'm still waiting on some other schools so I don't feel as if I could make my decision yet anyway, otherwise it would be harder to wait it out for so long!

I have also been wait-listed for funding, but have been in contact with some very helpful people. I was told that they may have news for those of us who are on the wait list in the next few weeks, especially as April 15 comes closer. I am a Victorianist (already with an MA), and am very conflicted about Temple. There are people there I would love to work with, but their method of accepting people without funding and then leaving us hanging until others decide has kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It makes great sense for them, but I do NOT appreciate it! I have heard some generally bad things about Temple's financial administration office, which is not a reflection of the English department, of course... But still a little concerning). I would be very curious to know how many funding offers are currently out there.

Found typos and it wouldn't let me edit previous post, so reposting it...

I'm also an alternate for a TAship. Temple definitely takes unfunded students and it seems that they don't have the best reputation in terms of funding availability. Personally, I don't think PhD programs should admit students unless they can offer funding. That said, I'm still highly considering their program because there is a faculty member who I really, really want to work with. I heard that they're looking to take in a class of about 12 (which includes MA and PhD students, both funded and unfunded).

It seems like everyone on these boards received the same details about being an alternate for a TA position. Is there anyone who was offered funding and plans on accepting or turning it down? Anyone on here who is seriously considering Temple like me or are people thinking of just taking themselves off of the wait list for funding because they have better options and don't feel like waiting until later April (I heard we might not hear until after the 15th, if at all, but we could hear sooner)? I'm so frustrated and stressed about this-- luckily I'm still waiting on some other schools so I don't feel as if I could make my decision yet anyway, otherwise it would be harder to wait it out for so long!

Plus, the email said funding packages are only guaranteed for four years, not the full five (I only have my BA, so that makes me nervous). 

If you check Temple English's website it states that the estimated time to finish is six years, though with a master's it can be completed it four years. BUT In some other paperwork I got from them it highlights a five year plan for those with an MA and a six year plan for those with a BA, so either way I think the funding is problematic for both those of us with an MA and those of us with a BA.  :unsure: Like others have said, it's just an overall bad feeling and vibe to be hanging in this funding wait list purgatory.

Did anyone on GC get a funded offer from Temple?

Hey all! :)  I haven't heard anything from Temple and don't think I'll be offered funding at this point, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove myself from the funding wait list, so if someone else is waiting on funding I hope that will at least help a bit.

But I agree with what everyone's said thus far...Temple's handling of funding is SO stressful all around.