Sequential Art

Monadology

Hi all,

I'm posting here on behalf of someone I know who is interested in pursuing art. Since she would be enrolling at the undergraduate level, this may be an inappropriate place to post this. But I thought the pool of people here might have the requisite knowledge since you are all probably fairly familiar with the academic art world. I also don't of know anywhere else to ask. 

She is primarily interested in comics and so presumably would be looking for programs with a sequential art (or cartooning?) major. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources that would list good schools for those majors?  The information I have been able to find while googling is disorganized and minimal. Does anyone have any suggestions themselves? Proximity to California is ideal but not at all necessary. 

Thanks! I hope I'm not cluttering up the message board inappropriately. 

Hi all,

I'm posting here on behalf of someone I know who is interested in pursuing art. Since she would be enrolling at the undergraduate level, this may be an inappropriate place to post this. But I thought the pool of people here might have the requisite knowledge since you are all probably fairly familiar with the academic art world. I also don't of know anywhere else to ask. 

She is primarily interested in comics and so presumably would be looking for programs with a sequential art (or cartooning?) major. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources that would list good schools for those majors?  The information I have been able to find while googling is disorganized and minimal. Does anyone have any suggestions themselves? Proximity to California is ideal but not at all necessary. 

Thanks! I hope I'm not cluttering up the message board inappropriately.

School of Visual Art, NYC is supposed to be very good.

• 2 months later...

Proximity to California is ideal but not at all necessary.

OTIS is the top-ranked school for that in the So. Cal area and would be a good launch for a career in animation, assuming she got into the program and didn't wash out in the first year. (OTIS is a notorious bootcamp of a school.)

Other than that, SVA and Savannah have good undergrad programs that churn out indie producers all the time while also having other departments. If she's dead set on comics, Center of Cartoon Studies in Vermont has a great reputation - but you have to be 100% committed to comics. It's not any cheaper than a first-tier art school undergrad program and there's only one major and one goal there.