In Junior year of my undergrad looking for some guidance

Hello!

I'm a Junior political science and English writing double major from a small regional liberal arts college with a good reputation, who only recently decided that he wants to pursue a career in academia (previously I wanted to be a political journalist, but research I did in the course of my undergrad and a good professor made me consider getting a doctorate in political science). I wanted to get an idea for what types of programs I should be aiming for, as well as get some advice on anything I can be doing to bolster my chances.

What will likely be the weakest part of my application is my GPA. I didn't do nearly as well as I could have my first year, not thinking I was going on to postgraduate education (something I'm shooting myself for now). After this semester I should have a 3.62, and a 3.84 in Political Science. Since second semester of my sophomore year I have gotten nothing but 4.0's. 

I am planning on taking my GRE's next fall, and have started studying for them already. I feel fairly confident I will do well in them - I got a 35 on my ACT and a 2280 on my SAT, and those were both first time, no studying. My quant might be a little lower, as I haven't taken a math class (not counting statistics) in a while, but I'm focusing specifically on that in studying and am taking a finite math class at a community college this summer.

As far as my research background goes, I have done minor papers in previous classes, and have won a fellowship for this summer. I will be spending the summer doing a research project on the effect of polarization on state legislatures, and hope to publish the finished product in an undergraduate journal. I also have a senior seminar project I will be working on next semester with a different professor, which I can extend through my final semester of my senior year to graduate with honors. (I'm also going to be working on a senior seminar for my English writing major too, on the off chance that makes a difference). I feel confident I can get three robust LOR from political science professors. 

I want to go into American politics. I'm not completely settled on what specifically I'd like to be doing (and I'm trying to read more current political science articles to gain more clarity on that), but ideally I'd like to focus on the ways political institutions function and the ways that they can shape (and be shaped by) members' preferences. In particular, I'd like to do some work similar to what Congressional scholars like Mayhew, Aldrich and Rohde, etc. have done with Congress on the state level. 

The only other things I can think to add are that I spent a semester interning in the Scottish Parliament, and had an internship in state government before that, and as far as languages go, I have an intermediate proficiency in French (something I feel could be bulked up pretty easily with a community college course or the like).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on what types of programs I should be looking into with this sort of background - ideally I'd like to go to a top 25 political science school with a good American Politics program and some sort of funding package. Is this realistic, particularly with my GPA? Is there anything I can be doing to make myself a stronger candidate? I really would love doing research and teaching political science at a university, and hope to gain an inkling of an idea how realistic that dream is.

Quit worrying about your GPA. You are fine. Continue to kill it. People will understand you were 18 once.

Dude/dudette, I had a 3.09.

I suggest you start focusing more on math. Take calculus courses. Ideally, take a linear algebra course. If you kick ass in those, you should be well suited to apply. 

And keep reading.

Quit worrying about your GPA. You are fine. Continue to kill it. People will understand you were 18 once.

Dude/dudette, I had a 3.09.

I suggest you start focusing more on math. Take calculus courses. Ideally, take a linear algebra course. If you kick ass in those, you should be well suited to apply. 

And keep reading.

Yes. Take math, I would add statistics. You need to have those on your transcript to show you are aware they are important to the field, even if they are not important to you personally. You don't have to "kick ass" (don't feel you can't apply if you don't get an A) but you do have to take them to be competitive.

Also, your SOP should be largely your summer research project (to show you know how to do research) and you should be eyeing the prof you will be working with for a strong letter with lits of specifics, ie work hard and give him/her something to crow about.

I would third the advice to "tech up" as it's called.  Courses in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, statistics, probability, or computer science would be a huge asset.  An intro to programming course is perhaps the most important course that many people don't take; knowing how to program (1) will make future methods courses much easier and (2) will make you a lot more useful as a research assistant.  Instead of doing grunt work when you start out, you get to do technical grunt work.

Take Linear Algebra and Calculus 3. Read the frontier literature and try to bring them up to your professors as much as you can. Be like "yea...BTW what do you think of Steph Haggard's new piece in APSR on inequality..." That way, your professors will know that you are really seriously considering becoming a researcher. Letters matter the most. The only way to impress letter writers is to show them that you are already a scholar even before applying. Writing a great thesis will work the best, but discussing frontier scholarship with your letter writers is another good strategy. 

I'm noticing a common trend here - beef up on the math courses while I still can. I'll definitely try to fit in a couple calculus and linear algebra classes with my last two semesters. Now, as it looks like most applications are due mid-December, am I correct in assuming the grades you get in classes 1st semester (and obviously 2nd as well) my senior year won't have an effect on the admissions decision? I only ask because I'm guessing I can take these math classes, I'll probably be able to fit in one a semester, but I won't have much to show for them other than letting a school know in my SOP that I'd currently be in a class and/or taking one the following semester. Is that just the best I'll be able to do at this point?

Some tips here by:-

Drezner - http://www.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/18/so_you_want_to_get_into_a_political_science_phd_program_part_one

Monteiro - http://www.nunomonteiro.org/advice/grad-admissions

'The Realist' -

A few more scholars have posted their thoughts on graduate admissions over at the Duck of Minerva

Check out the Faculty Perspectives sticky and you'll be able to glean more of an idea from the likes of BFB and 'Penelope Higgins' who have kindly commented greatly around the forum.

EDIT: Don't assume you'll be able to fly through the GRE. Read up on the format of the test and use PowerPrep II by ETS (free) to take a practice exam which will give you an indication of where you're starting from.

Edited by RLemkin

You'll do just fine with admissions, I think. Some quick thoughts:

1. Choose carefully where you apply, and read up on departments and faculty as much as possible. If you're really into state politics, for example, UNC would be a good fit. There's a good number of options for you in the "top 25" with your general set of interests.

2. Focus on making your summer project and senior thesis as good as you can make them. Ask people for feedback along the way, particularly all of your letter writers - that way, they can mention these projects and provide lots of details. Ask a few people where you should place your summer project, too, if you haven't already. That kind of advice is quite useful in the short term, but it also helps you build up a sense of what kinds of papers go in which journals, which is a good type of knowledge to have.

3. Work as a research assistant if you can.

4. Your first semester grades may matter for some places.

Your numbers look fine. Don't sweat the GPA. Keep doing research and take as much math/stats/computer science/econometrics/whatever-technical-thing-you-find-the-most-compelling as you can. Whatever you want to do, calculus, linear algebra and probability theory are going to be foundational. American politics is getting pretty methods-heavy. Even the least methodsy Americanists have to at least be fluent enough to know what their colleagues are doing.

Your substantive interests are nice and mainstream, so you should have people to work with in almost any top department. Not everywhere is going to have a person working on state legislatures, but you don't need exactly that (though it is obviously not bad to have). Any good congress scholar should be able to advise you with what you want to do.

3. Work as a research assistant if you can.

Agreed. This is especially true for applicants coming straight from undergrad. If you haven't done any significant research work, how will they know if you have the chops? Everyone does an honours thesis. Undergrads who secure RA positions show they know what they want and they are driven to do research. Plus, these relationships often garner the best LORs. 

This may be more difficult to achieve coming from a LAC than a major research university, but you need to try to get a position as an RA. Target the profs who's interests align with yours and ask if they are looking for RAs over the summer or whenever.

Also, don't spend too much of your time and resources on your English major or projects. This will not help you at all.