NSSHLA, similar groups, and attending conferences...

Hi everyone!

I was just accepted into a 2nd Bachelors program and will start in May. I was just wondering if it is worth it to join NSSHLA or other groups (like my state's ASHA org)? I noticed that around the time I finish this program there is a conference about two hours from me. I was thinking it would be beneficial to attend but was not sure if this is something worth mentioning in a SOP? I plan on spending the next year gaining as much volunteer and hopefully relevant work experience as I can. I do not have one strong selling point (like a great GPA) so I am hoping to pull together as many small points to become a well-rounded candidate. Also, any other advice for this next year would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Definitely join NSSHLA at your school, and be an officer if possible! Also, i'd attend the conference - and volunteer if you can! It's something you can mention, and often you can meet professors from the schools you are applying to, and get to know them, and find out more about different programs, as well as meet SLPs to volunteer or observe with.. Volunteer, observation and work experience are so beneficial! Get your GPA up as much as possible! 

Hi. :)

I think it is absolutely worth your time to join your school's NSSLHA and attend any conferences that you can. I attended NSSLHA meetings, but couldn't be an officer due to time restraints (from work and other commitments), but even just going to the meetings was always educational, and we raised some money for our clinic, too (I don't know if all schools do that, though). My friends who went to the state and national conferences said they were great networking opportunities. And lots of fun - that never hurts.

Any experience like that can go on a resume to show that you were involved beyond the classroom. I don't know if it would be worth mentioning in your SOP unless you were an officer, or you presented at a conference with a professor or something, since you sometimes have so few words for your SOP, but if the school doesn't ask for a resume, it might be worth putting it in.

You sound like you're on the right track - volunteering is great, relevant work experience (if you can find it) is great. And even if there's not much you can do with your GPA, if you feel like you could improve your GRE score by taking it again, it might be worth the extra cost. :)