UChicago vs WashU vs UTSW

HerpinDerps

I just found out that I've been accepted into all three of my top picks for a PhD in Molecular Biosciences (different departments all under one umbrella program, etc.). It's wonderful news! Except that now I actually have to make a choice. All three are in liveable places- Chicago would be the most expensive, but I've been told that Hyde Park is actually pretty reasonable. Right now I'm just trying to come up with criteria that would help me decide.

Any and all opinions would be welcome!

Shameless bump!

I should add that I've narrowed it down to U Chicago vs UTSW. With Chicago, I love the city, and the overall school culture. There are some amazing faculty, but not nearly as many as there are at UTSW, so it might be harder to find a PI match. I fell in love with the research at UTSW... but it's in Texas. Which means I would be surrounded by Texans.

ah, darn! Didn't get here before you took WashU off the list :). I really liked Chicago's program but know little about UTSW so I can't be of much help. Good luck in your decision!!

On 3/31/2014 at 1:22 PM, glow_gene said:

ah, darn! Didn't get here before you took WashU off the list :). I really liked Chicago's program but know little about UTSW so I can't be of much help. Good luck in your decision!!

Thank you! It was a very hard choice to eliminate WashU! Actually, now I'm having second thoughts about taking it out of the running... Any of these schools would be amazing. I felt more of a connection to the research at UTSW than I did at WashU, but it's like comparing things that are awesome with things that are perhaps-slightly more awesome.

• 5 years later...

@HerpinDerps where did you end up attending? I know it has been ages since you post this but I am trying to decide between UChicago and UTSW as well! 

I got accepted into both UChicago (Neurobiology PhD program) and UTSW (Basic Biomedical Science PhD program - planning on getting into Neuroscience). I am having a hard time deciding because of similar reasons you stated. I would appreciate your insight in this matter! 

• Warelin changed the title to UChicago vs WashU vs UTSW