Do courses that you take after undergrad factored into your GPA?

Does anyone know if courses that you take after your undergrad are factored into your gpa after you have already graduated?  Courses such as prereqs that you may need like the ASHA courses, repeated courses etc or they are looked at separately.  In order words will your poor undergrad gpa remains the same forever even after taking classes because you have already graduated?  Thanks!

Yes, they do. My husband's undergrad GPA for his bachelors was 3.31. With his 4.0 in pre-reqs factored in, his overall GPA was calculated at 3.41 by CSDCAS. I do believe they consider CSD grades specifically separate from the rest of the courses (imagine if someone had a sub-3.0 in CSD but over 3.0 in overall GPA because they took a hundred easy art classes, for example - that would be telling to the admissions committee) but if you haven't already done pre-reqs, they're a great opportunity to bump up your GPA a little.

Yes, they do. My husband's undergrad GPA for his bachelors was 3.31. With his 4.0 in pre-reqs factored in, his overall GPA was calculated at 3.41 by CSDCAS. I do believe they consider CSD grades specifically separate from the rest of the courses (imagine if someone had a sub-3.0 in CSD but over 3.0 in overall GPA because they took a hundred easy art classes, for example - that would be telling to the admissions committee) but if you haven't already done pre-reqs, they're a great opportunity to bump up your GPA a little.

Thanks caterpillar.  I wasn't sure whether they will look at low undergrad gpa even after taking more classes.  In a way i was thinking that it there is no hope for me if this is the case.

I also heard that re-taking classes after your degree is closed doesn't really help you much.  I think that is why i am wondering if it helps at all taking classes or re-taking classes.

Retaking classes - often times the admissions committee will consider the new grade to be the "replacement" grade. This is also true of schools if the class is retaken at the same institution. For example, my husband incorrectly dropped a music class in his first term at community college and received an F. He retook the class the next term and received an A - this "replaced" the F and showed to his later bachelors program (and i assume the admissions committee for SLP, too) that the first grade was a mistake he was willing to work hard to overcome. The F does remain on his transcript, however. 

If your degree has posted, no, retaking classes won't raise your GPA as calculated by your graduating institution. But for outside admissions committees, who are able to see the whole of your academic record, they'll be able to see that you retook the class and improved your score. 

Taking classes and doing well will only help, as you are applying with ALL your transcripts, not just the one where you got your degree. The extra classes my husband took raised his GPA a whole 0.10, which is pretty significant when you're talking about the 3.0-4.0 scale.

Retaking classes - often times the admissions committee will consider the new grade to be the "replacement" grade. This is also true of schools if the class is retaken at the same institution. For example, my husband incorrectly dropped a music class in his first term at community college and received an F. He retook the class the next term and received an A - this "replaced" the F and showed to his later bachelors program (and i assume the admissions committee for SLP, too) that the first grade was a mistake he was willing to work hard to overcome. The F does remain on his transcript, however. 

If your degree has posted, no, retaking classes won't raise your GPA as calculated by your graduating institution. But for outside admissions committees, who are able to see the whole of your academic record, they'll be able to see that you retook the class and improved your score. 

Taking classes and doing well will only help, as you are applying with ALL your transcripts, not just the one where you got your degree. The extra classes my husband took raised his GPA a whole 0.10, which is pretty significant when you're talking about the 3.0-4.0 scale.

Gotcha! that makes sense.  I know my GPA wouldn't change for my graduating institution, but i wasn't sure if admission committees will still only view my undergrad GPA.