School psychology

bethanygm

I have been posting in various areas of this site to try to get different ideas about career paths. I was double majoring in History and Psychology, so I first explored the History PhD option. It seems to limiting for me. I am now investigating the School Psychology PhD option... and I think I am dropping my history major down to a minor.

I'm hoping some of you can guide me:

*First, what is the difference between educational and school psychology? If I get a PhD in education psychology would it also allow me to work as a school psychologist in a K-12 environment (I have browsed a lot of college sites and I am still unsure).

*I am taking all of my classes online and I am really worried about recommendations. Does it matter is some of my LORs are from history professors? I want to take more of my classes in a classroom, but my program is a military base program (an extension of a regular nearby liberal arts college.. a decent one..) and right now most of the courses are offered online. I can't attend the regular off-base classes because they are about 3 times as expensive. It is too much. I am afraid I am only going to be able to get weak LORs, or none, because no one knows me. Will weak LORs kill my application even if I have a decent GPA and GRE?

*Research. I don't have any and have no idea how to go about getting into it. My schools most popular program is psychology, and I would be competing with all those students from the main campus who actually know the professors.. Do I absolutely need research experience? Can I fashion something of my own to show I can do research? Please advise.

*It now looks like I am graduating with a 3.7 overal GPA, and a 4.0 (or maybe 3.9?) GPA in my psychology major. I will study very hard for my GRE. Do most schools require the general GRE AND the subject GRE??? Will I need to take the subject GRE?

*I live in Hawaii. My husband is getting out of the Navy in time for the Fall 2010 term. If I apply this year, I technically could attend next year (I'd have to move alone, first), but if I even get invited to interviews, there is no way I can afford to fly to all of them. I am planning to apply to colleges in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, maybe Georgia, and maybe Virginia. Should I just wait and apply to schools for Fall 2011? I have no idea what I am going to do for a job for all those months in between. Or how we can afford to move twice if I even get in anywhere.

*I'm going to be 26 by the time Fall 2010 rolls around, and I will probably want to start having kids around my third year of grad school. Is this even advisable? I a not going to wait until 30. I am wondering if I should get a job for a few years (doing what? I don't know), and then have kids, and then try to go back in my later 30s. ;( I am married, so all these decisions (esp. concerning where my income/funding is coming from) involve my husband and our future children.

*What exactly do you research in a PhD program in school psych? I was more clear on my research options for a history PhD. Could I develop curriculum, or write a thesis supporting certain ways of teaching kids? I know I need to go read some articles in the school psychology journals.

If anyone could take the time to address my questions, I'd be really grateful. My husband decided he wants to get out of the Navy, and I am feeling a very high level of anxiety about this. I really need to figure this out.

*First, what is the difference between educational and school psychology? If I get a PhD in education psychology would it also allow me to work as a school psychologist in a K-12 environment (I have browsed a lot of college sites and I am still unsure).

Since I don't think I will be able to adequately address this, let me point you to another forum. Forums.studentdoctor.net...click on Psychology and then Clinical Psychology and there is a wonderful active thread about School Psychology going on now.

*I am taking all of my classes online and I am really worried about recommendations. Does it matter is some of my LORs are from history professors? I want to take more of my classes in a classroom, but my program is a military base program (an extension of a regular nearby liberal arts college.. a decent one..) and right now most of the courses are offered online. I can't attend the regular off-base classes because they are about 3 times as expensive. It is too much. I am afraid I am only going to be able to get weak LORs, or none, because no one knows me. Will weak LORs kill my application even if I have a decent GPA and GRE?

*Research. I don't have any and have no idea how to go about getting into it. My schools most popular program is psychology, and I would be competing with all those students from the main campus who actually know the professors.. Do I absolutely need research experience? Can I fashion something of my own to show I can do research? Please advise.

I think, many times, programs stress the importance of having the majority of the LORs come from Psych professors. I would definitely apply to conduct research with a Psych prof and see what happens. Other than that, could you do a Senior Thesis and conduct your own research? Have you taken an Experimental or Research Methods course that allowed you to conduct a small study that you can talk about as well? You can also try to find a hospital, research lab or clinic to do an internship with and see if you can do research through them? I think research experience is very important to be a competitive candidate, but it is, afterall, just one piece of the whole puzzle.

*It now looks like I am graduating with a 3.7 overal GPA, and a 4.0 (or maybe 3.9?) GPA in my psychology major. I will study very hard for my GRE. Do most schools require the general GRE AND the subject GRE??? Will I need to take the subject GRE?

I don't think most School Psych programs require the subject GRE BUT every school is different, so check the websites to find out for sure.

*I live in Hawaii. My husband is getting out of the Navy in time for the Fall 2010 term. If I apply this year, I technically could attend next year (I'd have to move alone, first), but if I even get invited to interviews, there is no way I can afford to fly to all of them. I am planning to apply to colleges in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, maybe Georgia, and maybe Virginia. Should I just wait and apply to schools for Fall 2011? I have no idea what I am going to do for a job for all those months in between. Or how we can afford to move twice if I even get in anywhere.

I think you could strengthen your resume more if you applied for the Fall 2011 term. You could possibly commit to a research project, study for the GREs for a longer period of time, and attend those interviews you might get invited to. Some schools are rather particular about students showing up for interviews, so it might be in your best interest to wait? I know this advice probably isn't desirable but showing up for interviews increases your chances of being accepted.

*I'm going to be 26 by the time Fall 2010 rolls around, and I will probably want to start having kids around my third year of grad school. Is this even advisable? I a not going to wait until 30. I am wondering if I should get a job for a few years (doing what? I don't know), and then have kids, and then try to go back in my later 30s. ;( I am married, so all these decisions (esp. concerning where my income/funding is coming from) involve my husband and our future children.

Hmm, this is a tough one! Some people have kids during grad school, others feel it is simply too overwhelming. Only you know the level of stress you can handle. Personally, I would say try to go to school and then have kids closer to the end of your years and (obviously) discuss this with your husband because you're going to need his 100% support. Again, only you know how much you can juggle at once.

*What exactly do you research in a PhD program in school psych? I was more clear on my research options for a history PhD. Could I develop curriculum, or write a thesis supporting certain ways of teaching kids? I know I need to go read some articles in the school psychology journals.

Since I don't think I will be able to adequately address this, let me point you to another forum. Forums.studentdoctor.net...click on Psychology and then Clinical Psychology and there is a wonderful active thread about School Psychology going on now.

I think, many times, programs stress the importance of having the majority of the LORs come from Psych professors. I would definitely apply to conduct research with a Psych prof and see what happens. Other than that, could you do a Senior Thesis and conduct your own research? Have you taken an Experimental or Research Methods course that allowed you to conduct a small study that you can talk about as well? You can also try to find a hospital, research lab or clinic to do an internship with and see if you can do research through them? I think research experience is very important to be a competitive candidate, but it is, afterall, just one piece of the whole puzzle.

I don't think most School Psych programs require the subject GRE BUT every school is different, so check the websites to find out for sure.

I think you could strengthen your resume more if you applied for the Fall 2011 term. You could possibly commit to a research project, study for the GREs for a longer period of time, and attend those interviews you might get invited to. Some schools are rather particular about students showing up for interviews, so it might be in your best interest to wait? I know this advice probably isn't desirable but showing up for interviews increases your chances of being accepted.

Hmm, this is a tough one! Some people have kids during grad school, others feel it is simply too overwhelming. Only you know the level of stress you can handle. Personally, I would say try to go to school and then have kids closer to the end of your years and (obviously) discuss this with your husband because you're going to need his 100% support. Again, only you know how much you can juggle at once.

Like most psych programs, the answer here is not so clear cut. You can research a WIDE variety of topics and it could be related/applicable to the field. One of my potential advisors for the program I got into was researching the spirituality of Asian children. I currently do research on spirituality and body image and proposed to research urban youth motivation and achievement. Since my research interest is urban youth, I also applied to Developmental and Community Psych programs (and will actually be attending a Developmental program in the Fall). Your research doesn't have to be about curriculum or teaching. It could be about youth development, diversity, gendered behavior, motivation, achievement, learning processes, psychopathology of children....and the list goes on. Whatever you like can most likely fit in :wink:

Hope this helped a bit! Good luck to you :D