Communication Program in U. Pittsburgh vs ICR at UIUC

Hello guys!! I am an international Ph.D. applicant from South Korea, who got admissions from the department of communication at University of Pittsburgh and ICR at UIUC. Here Seoul, it is very difficult to get sufficient information on schools in US, so I ask you guys to give me some advice. I plan to study the history of communication technologies in its relation to the history of modern science. I heard that the department of communication at Pittsburgh has provided classes on rhetoric of science in affiliation with the department of history and philosophy of science at the same campus, so I think Pittsburgh would be fitted in my current academic interest. In addition, one faculty in Pittsburgh has been showing strong interest in my research and Pittsburgh also suggested more generous funding than ICR in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 

However, I hesitate to decide because I don't know the overall refutation of University of Pittsburgh in the field of communication studies. ICR at UIUC is well known in South Korea while I have not heard about Pittsburgh's communication program before I started applications. What's your opinion on Communication program in Pittsburgh? And if you are in my situation, which school would you choose?

I chose ICR (I didn't apply to Pitt), and I think UIUC has a better reputation than PItt. However, fit is very, very important, and if Pitt has a focus on that, it might be your best choice. If you're not sure which you'd prefer, you could try talking to James Hay (the general contact guy), or to Anita Chan (whose research interests might be the closest fit to yours; I don't know that there's a ton of history-of-science stuff in ICR, but it's very interdisciplinary). Also, I know there are other non-ICR faculty who'd be willing to work with ICR students, though I hesitate to name them in this context.

ICR is a prestigious institution, and is very well-regarded by scholars in the U.S. (and apparently internationally, as well, since you said that ICR is well known in South Korea). The ICR (and UIUC in general) is definitely a top-tier program, consistently ranked as one of the best communication programs in the country. Pittsburgh does not have the same level of reputation, and is at best a "second-tier" (and honestly probably a "third tier") program. You can compare the programs in different rankings to get a sense of their different standings; I wouldn't make a decision based solely on rankings, but they can be useful just to get a sense of the programs' reputations among scholars in the discipline.

It sounds like a faculty member at Pitt is doing research in your area of interest, and really wants to work with you to further their own research agenda. This may also explain the more generous financial offer from Pittsburgh (which is surprising considering the disparate resources between Pitt and ICR). These are both exciting opportunities to consider! If I were in your position, I would think about what I want to do after finishing the PhD. Do you plan to stay in the U.S., or will you return to South Korea? For example, if you plan to work in South Korea after earning your PhD, it could be very helpful to have earned your degree from an institution that is well known and has a good reputation. So in that sense, getting your PhD from ICR could benefit your job search because it is known in South Korea (it would also help if you stayed in the states, as ICR is such a prestigious program, but that doesn't mean that doing your doctorate at Pitt will hurt you). Whatever you choose, congratulations! It is a good dilemma to have! I did not get accepted to ICR, and it would be wonderful to attend that program!

Edited by mediatedself

Thank you guys for answering. I decided to study at ICR but I have further questions!! I heard that many former ICR faculties have left the campus recently. I did not hear the reason for leaving. Have there been some problems at ICR? or they have just retired? Do yo think the reputation and quality of ICR would be influenced by the absence of these faculties ?