MGH Open House 3/29

I was just wondering how the open house was yesterday at MGH. I was unable to attend due to a family wedding. Any information that you learned about the program or anything you heard from students that you are willing to share would be helpful. Thank you so much! 

I sent in my deposit yesterday, so I suppose I should chime in! :) Here is a list of some things I saw and learned at the open house. Sorry for the list being so unorganized!

- Even though many people assume that MGH is best for students interested in medical speech-language pathology, the program and faculty emphasize that graduates will have lots of training in both medical/acquired and educational/developmental speech-language pathology. For example, they showed us a graph of where students graduating in '12 and '13 did their clinical fellowship years, and one year it was pretty evenly split between medical and educational settings, while another year it was more educational than medical. They said it really depends on the year, and it's important to remember that there are more SLP jobs in school.

- About 50% of students do a concentration, and about 10 students per year do a thesis. Even if you don't do a concentration, you can still take electives on a wide range of topics. 

- Students said that the program is supportive and friendly, not competitive. It sounds like the classes are tight-knit, and many people referred to the MGH IHP / the CSD department as a "family". Also, even though the program is larger than many other programs (about 50-60 students per year), professors get to know everyone really well. One student said she was amazed at how quickly one of her professors learned everyone's names. Also, since there are no undergrads, the professors are 100% committed to the graduate students.

- I thought the classroom spaces and rest of the facilities looked very state-of-the-art and well-maintained.

- The Charlestown Navy Yard is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing the water and the Boston skyline pretty much every day for the next 2 years!

- In terms of housing, one student said that it's best to live near the Red Line so you can take the T to either the MGH main campus or to North Station and then take the Partners shuttle from there to the Navy Yard. The shuttle is reliable and quick. If you want to drive, parking costs ~$5 per day. Some students also bike from home.

I hope this helped! If you have specific questions about anything I didn't just mention, let me know and I can try and remember what I saw!

thank you speechb14 and congratulations on your decision. all of this information was really helpful. i see that you got funding from MGH as well..where can i see that information online? 

do you know generally how much it costs per year? 

thanks 

Funding is mentioned in my acceptance letter on the MGH IHP application portal, and I also received an email called "Financial Aid Information for Communication Sciences and Disorders Students". The program requires a minimum of 69 credits, so at $1,093 per credit hour, the program will cost at least $75,417. This is for all 6 semesters -- fall, spring, and summer (first year) and fall, spring, and summer (second year). 

I sent in my deposit yesterday, so I suppose I should chime in! :) Here is a list of some things I saw and learned at the open house. Sorry for the list being so unorganized!

- Even though many people assume that MGH is best for students interested in medical speech-language pathology, the program and faculty emphasize that graduates will have lots of training in both medical/acquired and educational/developmental speech-language pathology. For example, they showed us a graph of where students graduating in '12 and '13 did their clinical fellowship years, and one year it was pretty evenly split between medical and educational settings, while another year it was more educational than medical. They said it really depends on the year, and it's important to remember that there are more SLP jobs in school.

- About 50% of students do a concentration, and about 10 students per year do a thesis. Even if you don't do a concentration, you can still take electives on a wide range of topics. 

- Students said that the program is supportive and friendly, not competitive. It sounds like the classes are tight-knit, and many people referred to the MGH IHP / the CSD department as a "family". Also, even though the program is larger than many other programs (about 50-60 students per year), professors get to know everyone really well. One student said she was amazed at how quickly one of her professors learned everyone's names. Also, since there are no undergrads, the professors are 100% committed to the graduate students.

- I thought the classroom spaces and rest of the facilities looked very state-of-the-art and well-maintained.

- The Charlestown Navy Yard is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing the water and the Boston skyline pretty much every day for the next 2 years!

- In terms of housing, one student said that it's best to live near the Red Line so you can take the T to either the MGH main campus or to North Station and then take the Partners shuttle from there to the Navy Yard. The shuttle is reliable and quick. If you want to drive, parking costs ~$5 per day. Some students also bike from home.

I hope this helped! If you have specific questions about anything I didn't just mention, let me know and I can try and remember what I saw!

I could not make it to the open house so thank you for sharing your insight!