The Dr.PH vs the Phd in Public health

Sylwia

Hi there!

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the Dr.PH programs out there? I know the difference, the former is more practical in preparing its students for roles in government, policy making and leadership within organizations. The latter, the PhD prepares students for research and academic careers.

However, which is more prestigious? On a personal note, my mother is pushing for a PhD as she believes it is more prestigious, however I'm not quite sure whether it matters all that much once in the 'real' world.

Any thoughts?

Prestigious? If you mean a degree that will be more recognized by the lay-person, it's the PhD, no doubt.

If you're even having the PhD vs. DrPH debate, you're probably thinking you want to do more practical applications of public health rather than strict research, right? Figure out a little bit more what you want to do and then this will be an easy question to answer :)

Research = PhD

Practice = DrPH

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Yes, it should be an easy answer - however I can see myself wanting to teach and work within organizations. Perhaps the right question to ask is whether the Dr.PH is recognized sufficiently and has good job prospects.

Any input is appreciated, especially if anyone debated between the two also :)

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Yes, it should be an easy answer - however I can see myself wanting to teach and work within organizations. Perhaps the right question to ask is whether the Dr.PH is recognized sufficiently and has good job prospects.

Any input is appreciated, especially if anyone debated between the two also :)

There is little difference between the two when it comes to seeking out opportunities. There are Dr.PHs who do research and teach; and there are PhDs who do direct practice. Both degrees will allow you to teach at schools of Public Health, and both will allow you more applied work.

In most cases, the Dr.PH will only be awarded to those already possessing an MPH. To be looking at which one is more prestigious on that level is pretty trivial, seriously. Your concerns at this point should be which school will best prepare you for what you want to do.