How to proceed with decisions when I haven't heard ANYTHING from 1 program

english_MA

Hello, 

I've applied to 5 English MA programs and been accepted into Georgetown, American, and UMass Boston, declined by UPenn, and heard nothing back from Penn State. 

Today's 3/31 and some of my other offers include funding and have an April 15 deadline. I spoke to one school about taking more time to decide and they were very gracious and awesome and said I could take more time and the offer would still stand. But I'm not sure how typical that is? And I felt a little sheepish asking in the first place. 

Today, I called Penn State as I had done about a week ago and they said "the department is still deliberating, decisions haven't been made." Then they said a letter should go out in the next week or two. So obviously, that will be cutting it quite close. 

In the results forum, I see that about 3 people have reported offers from Penn State - one person saying they were accepted off the wait-list. I never heard any news about being wait-listed. So should I not hold my breath, is no news necessarily bad news in this scenario? 

And, what are people's thoughts on pressing for more information? Is it appropriate to e-mail or call and reiterate my interest in the program and stress the fact that I need a decision by April 15th? I thought that was sort of an unofficial deadline anyway. Is it appropriate to ask other programs for more time? 

Thanks!

I am in the same boat with Purdue. I have applied to five programs and was accepted to the other four, and have not heard a single peep from Purdue. I have fellowship offers that aren't even going to give me till the 15th to decide, so I'm pretty stumped about what to do right now. And on an unrelated note, I was also accepted to the English MA at UMB, so congrats future potential classmate!!

I have already contacted one program that I've been waitlisted for funding at, and they responded similarly to Penn State, saying that they are making decisions and their hands are tied. It's very frustrating. I did ask for more time for one offer and they gave me an additional week, but it looks like that's not going to be nearly enough. Sigh. Good luck!

As of this moment, do you want to go to Penn State more than the other programs which accepted you? If you do, there's not much point in waiting for a response. Also, are any of your current offers funded?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use