air bnb?

overworkedta

Love it?  Hate it?

I'm trying to find a LT rental place for myself for a month while doing research in Canada and airbnb seems like a good place to look.  

Anyone used it?  Good results?  Bad results?

I used it for a conference in Denver this year. It was quite convenient and cheap. It was a little far from the conference, but well worth the money spent. The only odd thing was that the couple I stayed with apparently got into "pickling" and had mason jars everywhere. Also, they sat silently at their kitchen table for hours on end every night on their macbooks whilst listening to NPR. 

But, hey! I saved lots of money. 

After travelling around Europe and living in hostels with randoms (and finding out that's a huge, fun part of meeting people), I think it could be for me.  Plus, it's only a month.  And I will spend a lot of time training on my bike and, most importantly, in my office, the library, or the archives.  I am gonna try to run around as a "single" person while not trying to get upset over not having my SO nearby and enjoy my last moments of singledom.  We're probably getting engaged soon, so I think it will be good and frustrating both but we will be fine.  He's just encouraging me to go so much.  I will need to entertain myself with all things bike and work (which is why I'm there).

Thanks.  I've already checked kijiji and CL for options but it seems like they either lack features I need (furniture, internet, parking) or they are huge and built for a family or they require a 4-month lease, which I wish I could do but can't afford to do haha. I also could stay at a hostel or an "executive" type hotel because a cheap studio is in the budget but I'd love to save money for doing more interviews in other places if I can.

I've used it. I have met some slightly weird hosts who are a bit too forthcoming with their kooky worldviews imho. I prefer the privacy of a single hotel room. But the prices are great!

A lot of the extended stays say "unavailable" or they have a bad case of bed bugs.  They weren't when I first put this app together in February (well there were always some with bed bugs, let's be real but they weren't booked up).  FML.  I chedked with the uni about accoomodation there and they can get me in if all else fails but I don't want to live with an undergrad or in a dorm preferably.  However, worse things have happened to me and it wouldn't be the end of the world for a month where I will be extremely busy.

I'm okay with slightly weird and slightly avoidable hosts.  I can't handle dorm life again.  I spent 4 years living ON CAMPUS (even abroad) and it makes me shiver.  There are apartments, though, they are just out of my pricerange sans-roommate.

Well, I booked a room in Centretown with an en suite and a really well-recommended couple who was very helpful.  It's 5 blocks for my fave Ottawa restaurant and nut-free bake shop and 5 blocks from the National Archives.  Thanks for all of your help, guys :)  I will keep my blog updated on how it's going - good or bad!